Black tempura paint etching into glass

I have a Atomstack X20 Pro and I just did some wine glasses. For some reason, the black tempura paint (I mixed 50/50 with water) got etched into the top of my logo and I can’t get it to come off. What am I doing wrong??

It’s shattered glass, so it could be sticking in the areas left by the shattered glass…

This hasn’t occured in the parts I’ve done with tempera paint and ceramic tiles.

There is nothing to bond to the glass and tempera is water soluble. You are not melting the glass, so I don’t know what to suggest… brush and water?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Try a toothbrush and a little dish soap. A used toothbrush is part of my toolkit.

Hallelujah for the tooth brush… I think we all have at least one :crazy_face:

It is just a regular wine glass. I tried bleach, isopropyl alcohol and acetone. I just tried a magic eraser and it took some of it off. I just don’t know why it is happening.

It is water based.
Hot water and a tooth brush.

But no toothbrush?

Yes, all with a toothbrush

It’s almost like the laser is burning the paint into the glass

To be that tenacious, it would have had to melt into the glass. I seriously doubt you melted the glass rather than heat fracturing it. Tempura (acrylic) paint is water soluble and you should not have to use those harsher chemicals to remove it. But if you want to use another, try Shout laundry stain remover full strength and let it sit 10 minutes or so. Then toothbrush it. Worth a try.

I don’t know what’s happening… Tempera is a simple formula the only thing that is really unknown is what pigments are used…

The only process that I know of that binds the material to glass is something like LBT100, Cermark and some others. I use LBT100, but could never get it to work with a dpssl machine.

Meaning I have no clue how it would stick.

You cannot heat up half a glass and melt that half. So you can’t heat up a small area for it to melt without it shattering long before that temperature is reached.

These only work on glass because the pigment in the tempera absorbs the laser frequency which heats it and that heat shatters the glass. Using this method, I can only see a limited range of use.

Did you try putting it under a microscope of other magnifier to determine what it looks like? Maybe you can see what’s happening…

Good luck… I’m out of suggestions, at least until I sleep on it :crazy_face:

What speed and power did you use?
Get it to hot and it will fracture and leave micro cracks in the glass.
That is probably where the paint is hiding.

Put in a bowl or something and fill the bowl with water slowly increasing the temp till it is hot. Let it soak for a while.

I have an idea… can you upload a closeup picture of the problem?

2000 speed, 60 % power.

With my 10W I run glass at 1000 speed and 85% and no black stains. So you should be close. Maybe a bit more power.
But, I am using acrylic craft paint. I find it a lot easier to work with. Still mixed around 50/50 with water and very easy to clean off with water.

Wow, there is definitely something there. Maybe you discovered a process we all can use. If you manage to clean it out, let us know, and how.

Possible that particular tempura paint has some molybdenum or zinc in it that causes it to behave more like a laser ink compound?

Interesting theory!