Bug: Changing Image Size and Adding to Document Keeps Old Image Size

I used an image that was determined to be too large. I deleted it from the file, resized it outside of Lightburn, then added the resized image to Lightburn. Lightburn assigned it the size of the prior image version, which is wrong and caused destruction of materials.

I usually do this in Lightburn, but I have modified graphics in Gimp and they import properlyā€¦

Can you give us more detailsā€¦ is this an image or vector fileā€¦?

:smile_cat:

Itā€™s a png. Lightburn resized the image to the prior cached size.

I have no idea how Lightburn caches thingsā€¦ or that this would even be an issueā€¦ You know more than I on how this works.

I would doubt Lightburn does this via a cache situation. I use png files all the time and gimp to change their sizes, never been surprised with Lightburn changing it.

You can resize in Lightburnā€¦have you tried?

Good luck

Yes. The issue here is not changing the size of the image; the issue is that Lightburn does not respect the changed size of the image. It is a cache problem that causes a bug.

I would think @johnjohn could advise us on thisā€¦

Iā€™ve never see this occur, so I canā€™t be of much help hereā€¦

Good luck

Please share your LightBurn file.

If you have the current version of the file and the previous version of the file I would be interested to know if they came out different.

It seems possible that the Ruida Controller could have stored the original File.

LightBurn has several ways to confirm image size and resize within LightBurn.
Iā€™m very interested in the approach you chose.

I could only guess which file it was at this point. Iā€™m not sure it even exists, as the fix required a new file and I think I saved over the first.

I can tell you that it was on my Mac, which was not connected to the laser (we use a windows machine to host the laser and I transfer files via dropbox), v1.4.0.0.

Dropping the resized file with the same name / path resulted in Lightburn reproducing the prior size. Creating a new document and using the same file resolved the issue.

If we want to be super specific, the file was replaced with a new image of new size (exported from illustrator) rather than resized in photoshop. Canā€™t imagine that changes things, but who knows.

It seems clear to me this is a minor caching bug.

Not sure on macā€™s, but is it possible you somehow missed the ā€œfilename already exists, do you want to over writeā€? Windows thing, but just a guess.

When I added the same file to a new document it worked as expected. Are you suggesting that Lightburn somewhere has a ā€œfilename already existsā€ error? This definitely did not appear if so.

No no, that is a windows thing. Not sure if mac has that. Hit the wrong button and it seams to have saved the file, but it didnā€™t.

Because of the way that Dropbox synchronizes files itā€™s likely that you may not have had the new file on the Windows machine. Itā€™s easy to send a previous version of a file before itā€™s done synching.

Perhapsā€¦ Dropbox is closed source and we canā€™t access their cache.
Weā€™ve even seen data loss and corrupted / emptied files as well.

Generally we recommend against External Drives, OneDrive and Dropbox for file management.

I was not dealing with transferring files at all in this case. When I do, I always make sure I have the current version. In this case, everything happened on a single computer (my mac). Dropbox was not involved in this case.

This is a cache issue with Lightburn.

Hi @Asher, Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We need some way to reproduce what you are observing. Please share your step-by-steps and any file(s) you can build to help us ā€˜seeā€™ what you do. If you are willing, we need your help to identify ā€˜the thingsā€™ as the first step to fixing the things. Together, forward. :slight_smile:

Well doing the same thing again worked as it ought to, so I have no idea what caused the exceptional behavior previously. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it and if I see it again I will report back with reproducible steps.

1 Like

Please do share back, thank you.

1 Like