Burn depth and power scale

Hey folks. First time posting. I just got my 50w Chinese model set up and running. I’ve been watching tons of videos and reading on here and other groups.

My biggest thing before I get started is trying to figure out the power and speed settings to use. I saw this “power scale” someone shared on Facebook and figured I would try it out for my first run and this might give me an idea on my settings going forward. I did this before researching on here and watching the “power scale” video and such. See attached images. You can see the boxes all burnt the same and they went about . 200 deep too! Also with “Shade according to Power” flipped on, I see now that it shows all at 100% and that’s what the power scale setting was.

My question is, was all of this because I didn’t use the Power Scale setting under properties for each box?

The speed shown is “12”, but I can’t see enough to tell if that is mm/sec or something else. If it’s mm/sec, that’s quite slow, and probably a good part of the trouble. You don’t have to use the power scale thing to make these - it’s just to help out when you need more settings than you have layers.

Yes, it was 12 mm/sec. I based it off another one I saw but he had his at 700 mm/min. Any other tips on selecting speeds and power? I have a ammeter being delivered. Hopefully I can get it set up and determine what my max power should be too.

I saw another discussion about using line instead of fill and I think you or someone else mentioned that you can enable an option to shade in a box even though it’s a line?

You should definitely increase speed. What I did, when I got my laser, was to make a few squares similar to this, except I put it at a 20% power (I’ve got a 150w tube) and then tried different speeds. After that, when I got a general idea of the capabilites, I did the speed/power matrix in 5% and 25 mm/s increments. That should give you a good idea how your laser behaves on a material.

Also, keep in mind, you can change the increments as you wish, they don’t have to be 5% and 25 mm/s.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try again with increased speeds.

Another question…if the power scale was set to 100%, even though I didn’t mess with it, isn’t that 100% of the power designated? So if I have one column and power was set to 50%, wouldn’t that still be 50%? if so, why do they all still look the same?

Also, if you don’t want to use power scale, what do you do? Set it to zero?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.