C02 or fiber laser?

The higher the wattage the quicker it will engrave… there is always a point where this doesn’t apply anymore, such as when too much heat is put into something and it physically shatters…

The second link you provided states it’s a jpt 50W machine in the video.

How the laser will effect the rock, depends on the rock. Most of the time it shatters from heat stress, lava rock melts and some sedimentary rocks engrave like the ones in your video going back to sand from the applied heat.

This is a piece from my back yard… doing the materials test… notice it doesn’t really chip at these settings, it heats up enough to turn to glass.

You can do things with porcelain tiles

I’d suggest you stay under 100W… as soon as you get to 100W, the lenses < 100W go from about $60, when you get to >=100W they now cost about $480… the type of glass must be different to handle the additional power. I got my fiber from CloudRay, my Co2 from OMTech.

I’ve heard good things about Haotion Lasers and a salesman named Pascal, I believe.

I like having a tall column, so I got one with an F425mm lens that covers about 300x300mm area.

The column is about 800mm. The rotary is a couple hundred mm to it’s center line, so it has to have enough clearance to allow a rotary with a long lens.

The source is very important… they have Q-switched and Master Oscillator Power Amplifier (MOPA) types are the most common. A MOPA allows more adjustments and control over the output pulse. I’d suggest a lower power MOPA rather than a higher power Q switched machine.

I’d highly suggest you email them all and ask for quotes when you figure out what you want or can’t decide. A lot of times they make you a deal knocking off hundreds…

Don’t know everything, but ask and we’ll try to help you out.

:smile_cat:

2 Likes