Camera connection causes Lightburn to crash

I am running Lightburn 1.4.05 on an HP Folio 1040 laptop with Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop. Apart from Lightburn, nothing else is running on the system, it is a standard installation, no major changes to the OS.
So far everything is working fine. Today I connected an HD webcam to the laptop and wanted to calibrate it in Lightburn. With standard webcam software (e.g. Cheese), both the laptop’s internal camera and the USB camera can be accessed without any problems. When I go to the dialog for calibrating the camera lens and select one of the webcams, a black image is displayed very briefly, after which Lightburn crashes immediately. If I activate the debug log and repeat this, the file “LightBurnLog.txt” is written to the documents folder, but the file is empty.

I have tried to start Lightburn from the bash (~/.local/share/LightBurn/LightBurn). Here, when calling up the webcam calibration wizard, the message is displayed that a “memory access error” has occurred. I then tried calling up Lightburn with sudo rights as a test. Lightburn then no longer crashes, but the camera view remains completely black. The camera is activated briefly (as can be seen from the camera LED), otherwise nothing happens. The “Next” button is deactivated.
In the bash console the error “could not render surface / internal data stream error / XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment” is shown.

I also tried to add the user to the “video” group which doesn’t solves the issue.

The error does not seem to be new, the same error is already described here: Lightburn crashes when trying to selct a camera.

Any idea how I can solve the problem?

A few questions:

Have you tried this with any other distro? Officially I believe Ubuntu 20.10 is the targeted distro.

Is this true for both webcams? If so, this could be indicative of a missing gstreamer library.

Are there any other messages before or after that could help isolate the issue?

What user are you using to run LightBurn. Do all other functions in LightBurn work correctly?

Hi,

Have you tried this with any other distro? Officially I believe Ubuntu 20.10 is the targeted distro.

no i didn’t tried that with another distribution.

Is this true for both webcams? If so, this could be indicative of a missing gstreamer library.

Yes, the exact same behavior for bot webcams.

Are there any other messages before or after that could help isolate the issue?

No there are just the normal camera parameter shown.

What user are you using to run LightBurn. Do all other functions in LightBurn work correctly?

I use the normal user which is created during the setup of ubuntu. The message with “XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment” is just shown when executing Lightburn as sudo.

The easiest thing to try would be to see if this works in 2020.10. That will tell you if it’s just a compatibility issue. Perhaps try this in a live boot image.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.