Can someone help with the settings for White painted tumblers from Michael's Crafts

Need advice for best settings Please! I have the XTool D1 Pro 20W and RA2 and trying to find the best Speed, Power, Interval and Overscan to best engrave these tumblers.settings for White Tumblers

Might want to give us a link to the tumblers and what you want to do to them…

:smile_cat:

Thank you. I am looking to Engrave Logo’s and here is the Link below.
18.5oz. Stainless Steel Sublimation Tumbler by Make Market® | Michaels

These are for dye sublimation applications… How/what are you trying to do with them?

Why not use regular tumblers?

These cant be engraved like powder coated tumblers?

Acording from all I have read, the coating is Not Toxic to laser and it says it’s possible it will work just fine. Surely I’m not the first to try this even by mistake.

I’m sure you are paying more for a specific type of tumbler… I believe they are just powder coated mugs.

Go buy a few at the dollar store to test with.

I buy my ‘better’ grade stainless steel mugs from Walmart by the 4 pack…

Unless you know something special about these and their coatings…

There is a Norton tile method that is popular with ceramic, using TiO2 as the chemical that turns black. With stainless you need something you can heat and bind it to the steel.

Coatings are commonly just burnt off…

I don’t have your kind of laser so I can’t help you with even a ball park for speed/power settings…

Good luck

Thank you Jack, but my goal is the burn the paint off of the stainless and not to just put a black coating on top of the paint. My Wife doesnt like the black and wants it to the metal. I’ll try one and see. I just needed to know what Speed and Power setting I needed to use. I know the Whits is set different from the Black and didnt know exactly where to start. Thanks for helping!

Your only options with that kind of laser, like my co2, is remove the coating or use some type of coating that will bond… that usually ends up black.

I’d pick some low cost mugs to learn on…

Good luck

Although I don’t have experience etching with the surface coating of the mugs you reference, I have etched a dozen or so powder coated mugs of various brands, such as Yeti, RTIC, ThermoFlask, 95% ablating the surface to bare stainless steel, then cleanup polishes to 100%. None have been white either, and that may matter due to higher reflectivity of visible (diode) laser light. My laser (Neje A40640) is likely 50% to 25% less powerful than your XTool D1 20W. Here are the etching specs for my laser and cleanup process to etch to a polished stainless steel finish. Give it a try. I found that less is more when it comes to power in this etching case.

Cheers,
Lou

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.