Cannot see the laser beam

The laser beam suddenly disappeared while I was engraving. What should I do? I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Can I assume that this is for the Ortur?

If you shut everything off and restart does it begin working?

Any messages in the Console window in LightBurn?

Ensuring the connections are tight may be the first thing to check.
Measuring the power supply may be of interest or benefit.

This may be worth review:

1 Like

I am having this same issue. when i press “fire”, it runs like normal, but no laser. when I frame, or try to burn, it moves, but no laser is visible and nothing happens no matter what my settings are set to

I have done several things as detailed below but I’m still not getting the laser to show.

It is Ortur LM2

I had the machine for few months and used it on and off but not extensively.

Windows 10

LightBurn 1.2.01

Updated firmware to 142

Rest the machine

Restarted it several times

Cleaned the laser diode and lens

All connections are in place

Earlier error from console (not sure if it is related) states:

Alarm:8

Homing fail. Cycle failed to clear limit switch when pulling off. Try increasing pull off setting or check wiring.

Last alarm:

Rest while in motion. GRBL cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Rehoming is highly recommended.

Recently, I see the laser shows at the start of the job and quickly disappears!

I hope that helps. I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Any comments? Do you see this a software or hardware issue? I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

I suspect this read “Reset while in motion.”

The reason it reset is of interest to us. If it reset all by itself it could be a communication or power problem. If it was reset (by you) because the controller thought all was well, that invites a different troubleshooting path.

If you wouldn’t mind generating this error again and copy + paste it from the Console window it can lighten the efforts needed to get through the Troubleshooting path.

It’s also handy to capture the precise device name, version number and the whole error message. I can’t tell what’s happening here, yet. :slight_smile:

The Alarm 8 - Homing fail is interesting. Does this particular model of Ortur laser have limit switches and does it auto-home on start up?

This Alarm can be caused by a bad switch or an inadequate pull-off setting on an engraver that auto-homes on start up but it can also be caused by a misapplied setting on an engraver that does not auto-home.

At this point it could be either but we’re working on it. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.