Changed CPU now diode laser won't burn

We’ll I went with the dual laser for around $270 from china. It arrived today. It connected with the same plug as my other laser so I temporarily attached it to my cnc. I put a 1/4” piece of birch plywood under it and cut through it with 4 passes…. I had power set at 90 and speed at 10”/min. I didn’t try it any faster or any lower power level and I didn’t have much time to fool with it. However I was very impressed out of the box… my other would never come close to this no matter how many passes or speed.
The laser came with 0 instructions or documentation at all. Heck I wasn’t even sure exactly where the laser “eye” was to begin with. It is a fixed laser so I assume the only adjustment I have is with my z axis? I am not sure how to adjust it correctly. I just moved it up and down until my dot got the smallest and I figured that was good?
I was never able to cut stuff out with my other laser. Are there any tips on how to do it “better”? Should my z axis be lowering with each pass? Lots of questions I know!

Thanks!

Great… Glad to hear you are up again… :slight_smile:

I may should start a new thread, but this one has already documented what I have.
I have been playing around with the laser. It has done a fair job of cutting through 1/4 birch ply. This I am excited about. I put a piece of aluminum under it to try to engrave on it… Nothing. I lowered my speed to 1 inch/min and set power to 95. 4 passes and nothing. Is there a trick? It may just be marketing, but according to the site, this laser will engrave aluminum and stainless. I have my doubts!

Don’t use aluminum. It has a reflectivity of something like 99.6% add to that it ‘wicks’ heat away from the spot quickly. The other option is one of the coating that can be applied and lased. Although most of them I’ve seen don’t mention being able to use an LED laser.

Don’t know about an LED, but I’ve seen lenses sizzled on reflective metals with a CO2.

Good luck, have fun. Be careful with what you cut.

:slight_smile:

Ok. Thanks! What about stainless steel?

Pretty much forget metal.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.