Chuck Rotary Setup Tool Issue

Good Morning!

I hope you all are well and may have some insight to my issue.

I started setting up my new OMTech rotary chuck yesterday and seam to be having trouble with the rotary setup tool working correctly above 62mm in the Object Diameter.

My stepper controller is set to 2000 Puls/Rev. and the drive pully is 22.5mm with the chuck pully at 45mm for a ratio of 2:1 ratio, hence the 4000 Steps per Rotation.

This all works great with any Object Diameter below 62mm. The test will make one full rotation and the box will frame just fine if I use the calculated circumference for the box height.

Once I get to 63mm and above in the Object Diameter, it will stop short of making of one full revolution on the test and while framing the box. Once I get above 62mm, I need to multiply the Object diameter by 64.25 in order to get the correct Steps per Rotation and have the Test and box frame work correctly.

66mm Object Diameter works with 4240 Step per Rotation
80mm Object Diameter works with 5140 Step per Rotation
100mm Object Diameter works with 6425 Step per Rotation

Any ides what might be causing this issue? I do not believe I should have to recalculate the Steps per Rotation for each diameter above 63mm as one rotation is one rotation at any diameter, or do I need to ?

When you use ‘test’ does the chuck rotate one revolution and back?

You are right, you should not have to change the steps/rotation only the object diameter.

:smile_cat:

It’s wierd, if I use the test button in the rotary setup tool with anything below 62mm, the 4000 Steps per Rotation does one full Rotation. Above that and I need to increase the Steps per Rotation to get the full rotation.

However with keeping the 4000 steps per rotation and adjusting the Object Diameter tonthe correctly size, the files will run fine, minus a small skrinkage in the Y axis.

I’ve been thrown off with the test above 63mm being short at 4000, but the file running fine.

I had to take a break and step away as I was getting tired and mixing up notes after 12 hours straight work on setuo yesterday and 6 hours today.

Will repeat my tests tomorrow and reconfirm my results to be sure.

Update on my testing of this issue.

If I keep my calculated Steps per Rotation at 4000 and use the test function in the Rotary Setup tool with the Object diameter set to these numbers I get these results

31mm Object Diameter = 1 Full Rotation
62mm Object Diameter = 1 Full Rotation
66mm Object Diameter = 7/8 Rotation
124mm Object Diameter = 1/2 Rotation

However if I set the Object Diameter to any of these above and use the calculated circumference the Rotary Setup tool provided and make a square the same height then cut the perimeter with the laser, it will make one full rotation and wrap the square around the cylinder I am using for testing.

Guessing this may be a software bug in the Rotary Setup tool for Object Diameters above 62mm? Or could it be somehow the software is interacting with my controller setup during the test? This could be an issue for anyone trying to us a 80mm chuck as their initial setup cylinder when trying to prove out the correct Steps per Rotation for their rotary axis.

Regardless if I use the 4000 Steps per Rotation and set the Object Diameter correctly for the cylinder, it will cut and engrave as needed with the correct surface speed.

-Kyle

This is very confusing to me…

If the chuck is rotating one turn and you chuck up a house (something >80mm) in it, the house will turn one rotation just like the chuck… no matter what it’s diameter is… you only need diameter for figuring out the surface speed… diameter shouldn’t change the one rotation issue.

I’m missing something here…

This is confusing and is why it took me 2 days and a couple messed up engravings in order to realize there was something quirky with the Rotary Setup tools Test function.

I was using the OD of the chuck for initial setup at the 80mm and my calculated Steps per Rotation of 4000 was not rotating the axis 360 degrees. I needed to use 5140 in order to get the test function to make one full revolution of the chuck. However when I went to engrave, it was causing my images to be distorted in the Y axis.

Fast forward a week of trial and error, I am using 4000 Steps per Rotation and my engraving is just fine and I have disregarded using the Rotary Setup tools Test function on anything above 62mm as it has a bug in it, or it just doesn’t work with my machines configuration for some reason.

-Kyle

Chuck diameter is not a requirement… why is that a concern?

The test button should rotate the chuck 1 turn and back.

Diameter makes no difference here

Your gui entry of steps/rotation should be for one chuck rotation…

You’re confusing me when you keep getting the diameter involved… At this stage get the chuck to do what it’s supposed to do…

Forget about diameter until the hardware is correctly configured.

We might have to step through what you are doing to see if I can pinpoint something… This shouldn’t be this complex.

We get this setup, if you still have issues, we can call in the ‘big guns’ that have an intimate relationship with the software.

I get it, the test function in the Rotary Setup tool should just move the axis X number of pulses in one direction and back again the same amount with X being the value entered in the Steps per Rotation field, regardless of the Object Diameter value entered.

However this is not the case, at least on my software version of 1.3.01 with a Ruida controller on an OMTech MF1624-55, Y axis set to 2000 Pulse/Rev and their chuck rotary axis with a 22.5mm pulley on the stepper and a 45mm pulley on the chuck for a 2:1 ratio giving me 4000 Plus/Rev on the chuck.

When I have any value below 62mm entered in the Object Diameter field and hit the Test button, the chuck will rotate 360 degrees and back again with 4000 entered in the Steps per Rotation field. Which is exactly as one would expect with my setup.

As soon as there is a value above 62mm entered in the Object Diameter field, using the Test function will rotate the chuck axis less and less degrees of rotation the higher the Object Diameter value is. If it is set to 124mm, the axis will only rotate about 180 degrees.

I do have my chuck operating correctly now, only because I finally realized that if there is a value larger than 62mm in the Object Diameter field, it will skew the Test function results.

I’m not trying to be difficult about including the Object Diameter in this issue as that is the truly the bug I have found in the Test function within the Rotary Setup tool. I appreciate you trying to understand the issue I was having and what I found. I do think this should be mentioned to someone who could look into a possible issue with the Test function if there is a way to do so and I would be more then willing to work with them if needed.

-Kyle

1 Like

I think it’s time to ask for some external help like @JohnJohn to assist us in solving this issue…

I’m not sure what to advise…

Hang in there…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.