CO2 Laser using Ruida RDC6445G Controller

Too many people make this complicated. It is generally quite simple.

What hoses everyone up is the darn configuration. Part of that is that I’m sure these were built for the commercial industry, in China. We have substantial issues between us, just from the simple fact they read right to left has it’s issues.

One of my grbl boards (Woodpecker) has the limit switches labeled X, Y & Z, but were actually Z, Y & X.

This is just the tip of miscommunications…

If this fixed you up, mark the thread ‘solved’ (upper right reply screen…) Please put a few words in on what you did exactly to solve it… Thanks…

Take care

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Great thread and people are very helpful which is great , thanks all

Props on the hot glue, that is a nice touch!

I’m having the same problems as the OP. Laser won’t fire with the CN5 plugged in, but will pulse with the test button when CN5 is unplugged. I’ve verified that the wiring matches LOn-1 → L and LPWM1 → IN and my water protect is working. I have laser 1 enabled. I’m using a Ruida RDC6445S and STP TR100 laser tube. Any other ideas?

No error on the Ruida console?

There are three signals on CN5. The two you mentioned and also WP1, water protection… this usually goes to the P input of the lps.

Do you have a voltmeter?

1. Check that LOn-1 goes low when the laser should fire.
  2. LPWM1 is active at some voltage… 50% pwm should read ~2.5V.
  3. WP1 is low.

With all three states active, it should lase… does you machine have a current meter?

Correct, no errors on the console.

LOn-1 is 4.4V regular and drops to .7V when laser is fired
LPWM1 is showing at 0V even when laser is fired…
WP1 is 24V when the chiller is off and 0V when the chiller is on

My current meter also shows at 0mA when the laser is fired.

Seems like the problem must be coming from LPWM1. Any idea why there’s no signal? My wire connections seem fine.

I think you’re on it… why, is another question…

Check to see if there is pwm activity when the connector is unplugged… no need to have the lps powered up… Checking that the input of the lps is not holding the pwm output signal low.

Double check that you have the laser enabled in the Ruida controller… The last field under vendor in the Machine settings would be a good place to check…

Although I can’t find it now, I recall somebody had a similar problem that boiled down to the controller using the LPWM2 output, due to a mysterious configuration option.

Go through all the Machine Settings and disable everything you find even vaguely related to the second laser.

No change with the lps connector unplugged and here are my laser settings. I’ve disabled water protection for the time being just to make sure it’s not impacting it (though I’ve tried it both ways).
Laser Settings
Laser Settings2

Laser 1 maximum power is 50%?

Don’t really see anything that would effect the pwm…

I remember the thread @ednisley is referring… they did have to enable laser 2 for the LPWM1 output to work… according to the post…

Get your water protection back on-line… if the tube does fire, you want it to have coolant… that’s an easy fix and apparently not causing any issues…

Good luck

At the risk of sounding silly, how about just switching the connector from Laser 1 (CN5) to Laser 2 (CN6) to see what happens? You could then measure the enable & PWM signals as before to see if the controller is doing some of the right thing in the wrong place.

The Laser 1 maximum power setting of 50% seems unusually low. Is there a reason for that?

Typically, you’d have that at 100% (or 99%) and limit the maximum current using the twiddlepot in the HV power supply to the laser tube’s specification.

Beyond that, it’s a mystery …

The post you reference, I believe, found that Laser 2 L-On2 isn’t working… He pulled all the control signals from laser 1 except the lpwm from 2… :grimacing:

I always wonder if it was some kind of hardware issue…

I tried enabling laser 2 and I still didn’t have a pwm signal on either connector :man_shrugging: I’m not sure where to go next. The controller is pretty new so I’m hoping that isn’t the issue.

Can you check with the vendor… sometimes this stuff breaks, even new ones…

If I went by the odds, I’d say it’s configuration issue … wish I could tell you where to look…

We have seen some people have to use RDWorks to set certain things to work right… The last one I remembered was the status was disabled…

Did you increase the output of the laser in the configuration from 50%?