Constant disconnection from laser

Hi everyone while i start to run a file, an A4 size picture while i try and get things set up, Lightburn disconnects from the laser and returns the head to home position,
Also in order to get a file to run i have to move the origin cursor to the edge of project for it to run in the correct area, i have LB set to bottom left but unless i move origin to bottom of project it starts at top left and runs off board area,
Running C3D Board standard firmware
Video links attached
Origin link here
Disconnection and align issue here
More align issue here

The connection issues are not uncommon - You likely have either a brownout (power draw causing a dropped USB connection) or a ground noise issue. We have a few common causes listed here: How to troubleshoot connection issues with USB

C3D should also be able to help on their forum.

Regarding the ‘runs off board area’ and starting issues, it sounds like your motors are skipping really bad when you run a job. You never show a pic of both what you tried to burn in the UI and how it looked on the laser when it was done, so I can’t tell if things are sized right, but I suspect they aren’t. If your K40 isn’t bog stock, you might need to adjust the settings in the config file on the C3D’s SD card for your hardware. If the machine is moving farther than it thinks it is, it also means it’s moving faster (or trying to) which could be the bulk of your problems.

The ragged edge on the image engrave is most likely caused by trying to run an image engraving too fast (more than 80mm/sec using the stock firmware with default settings). That’s fixable too, but let’s start with the first bit.

1 Like

Excellent thanks for that, i had already disabled the usb timeout as it used to do it with K40 whisperer but stopped once i had disabled the usb timeout, not sure if it would be a grounding issue as i live in the uk, so we have earth built in to our electrics, but will try it without air assist plugged in see if that make’s a difference,

Ragged edge i was running at default setting which i think was set at 100mms,
Have changed some settings on the sd card so will try that tomorrow, i just opened the config file and changed it via my keyboard, kinda hoping that’s how its done, will it auto save that way, ?, this is what i have changed apart from line 21 as it says only change this if you know what your doing, and i don’t ha ha so left it alone.
Line 6 default_seek_rate 24000
Lower this substantially - perhaps to 9000

Line 21 acceleration 2500
Lower to 1000

Lines 44 and 51
alpha_current 0.4
beta_current 0.6

Increase both to the max amps of 1.2
Thank you

Ok got the disconnect sorted out, traced it back to the usb lead. giving a bad connection and dropping out, thanks for the advice,
2, slowed down to 80mms and picture was nice and square thanks for that advice,
3, QUESTION / C3d seems to think that from the new year all boards now run with new cluster firmware which apparently enables you to run faster speeds, is there a setting in LB that i need to change,
4, Seem to have sussed the origin thingy out for now, thanks for the help with that too,
5, QUESTION / My X axis is still running slow but the Y axis is nice and quick any ideas please ?..
6, QUESTION / While trying to do greyscale engrave it just burns it all black, max power set at 50% min power 0% speed 80mms, i did video it but battery went flat on phone so wiped it out, but looks like its just using one power not fading in out.
Cheers guys

3: There is a setting for it. Edit > Device Settings, Use Smoothieware Clustering. If you get strange line artifacts in the engraving, you don’t have the right firmware.

5: You haven’t posted any settings specific to the X axis, but I’d guess that your max rate for X (or accel) is too low.

6: 50%? Try 5. With a CO2 laser, grayscale is much more likely to produce variable depth than variable shading. Putting the material a mm or two out of focus can help as well. CO2 lasers tend to vaporize material, not char it, so grayscale is actually quite hard to use with them.

1 Like

Ahh thanks very much 5% wow that is a big difference, i get not bad results on newsprint, could just do with lifting the contrast a tad, love the way Lightburn does the workflow, big learning curve but very intuitive interface,
the settings although i did copy some of these into the mem card, seems smoother, but X still slow. this was a post i found on either c3d or Lb.
Line 6 default_seek_rate 24000
Lower this substantially - perhaps to 9000

Line 21 acceleration 2500
Lower to 1000

Lines 44 and 51
alpha_current 0.4
beta_current 0.6

I read those from your previous post, but those aren’t specific to the X axis. Line 6 should be 12000 to 18000. (200 to 250 mm/sec) and acceleration can be higher - try 1200 to 1500.

1 Like

Cheers Oz but when you say line 6 do i just count down the code’s until i reach line 6, not very confident when it come’s to code’s.
Thanx

Cartesian axis speed limits

x_axis_max_speed 24000 # mm/min
y_axis_max_speed 24000 # mm/min
z_axis_max_speed 24000 # mm/min

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.