Correct belt tension

Hi,
Im trying to sort out several issues with our laser.
One is poor quality engraving on the far side from mirror two which i should get by adjusting and testing.

My other gripe is that circles I cut have a small lip where the start/stop position is.
I think the X axis belt may be the culprit, however I have no information on how tight the belt should be.

I have a proper tension device that are used at work for huge V-belts.

Thanks in-advance,
James

Hi,
Im trying to sort out several issues with our laser.
One is poor quality engraving on the far side from mirror two which i should get by adjusting and testing.

My other gripe is that circles I cut have a small lip where the start/stop position is.
I think the X axis belt may be the culprit, however I have no information on how tight the belt should be.

Just finger-tight. Pull the adjuster tight with your finger, then lock it up.

The belt only needs to be tight enough to not jump the sprocket.

1 Like

I have a similar problem and have reduced some Machine settings which seem to improve the cut, my new settings are as follows…
Idle Speed 300
Idle Acc 1000
Go Acc 40
Speed fact 15
Min acc 300
Max acc 2000
Acc fact 80
or it might be your belts or a combination of both belts and settings.
My machine is new and these settings have reduced the problem so might be worth a try.
Nev
Good luck

I spent at least half a day adjusting my belt tension to try and get rid of backlash, then the belt broke. When I was changing the belt I noticed that the pulleys were not tight on the servo motor. A lesson learnt for me at least. I was led to believe If the lip is at the top of the circle it is probably the y axis and at the side the x-axis

In the end I settled for the principle when I pluck it the belt should stop vibrating in approx 6 seconds. As others have said not too tight as this can lead to strain on the motors and mechanics. Also I am wondering about the quality of some of the belts out there I bet they are not all the same.

You’re right - a lot of Chinese belts are poor.

I just buy Gates - they’re cheap enough, compared to other components, and last years and years.

I worked on a machine that was over 20 years old with Gates belts and they were like new - no shoulders on the teeth, no slip. I didn’t even need to adjust them.

The same goes for pinions. Get quality ones, not stamped aluminium.

I used to buy them from a US defense contractor that milled them from solid, but they’re no longer making 2.5mm ones. Ridiculously cheap, considering the quality.

As to plucking - my belt tightness is ‘dead’ - no audible vibration at all and they dampen to stopped in a few cycles.

Thanks for the Gates Belt tip, I just ordered some to keep as spare. Cheers Alan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.