Cutting acrylic on 50w laser

Hello everyone i was wondering can i get help with the speed and power max for cutting and engraving 3mm acrylic? I have a latitool F50 laser engraver controller is

GRBL.

If the laser is a blue light device it will not engrave or cut clear acrylic directly.

The singularly best advice I can offer is to use the Material Test tool in Laser tools to develop the settings for your material and for your laser.

The 50W designation is unlikely to be ā€˜optical outputā€™ and may be challenging to compare directly with other units which are measured this way.

Ok Iā€™m new at this it does have a blue light and this what Amazon said what it can do so still it canā€™t cut 3mm acrylic thatā€™s the only reason why i bought it i only want to cut and engrave acrylic

You may be successful with colored or black acrylic.
If the light passes through the acrylic it isnā€™t absorbed and wonā€™t cut.

Ok should i just do this cut test on the acrylic? Iā€™m new with lightburn software also.

That material test looks good. You may also want to have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy in case something goes wrong.

Oh god ok do i need a honeycomb laser bed I do have the laser indoors

As @JohnJohn writes, a blue light laser cannot cut clear acrylic, but if you use dark colored acrylic you might have a chance. But to get through 3mm acrylic with a 5.5Watt laser, many rounds are needed. Without extraction, your family will throw you out of the house. Burnt acrylic smells terrible.

1 Like

Ok what will be the best laser for me to get i think i need to return it while i can since amazon lied

It depends on whether you plan to make many products for sale and whether you want to spend money on the tools necessary for that.
I think most people here would recommend a CO2 laser. Many people start with a diode laser and buy a CO2 laser afterwards. And if there are requests for larger items, then people buy a larger laserā€¦, thatā€™s the way Iā€™ve also gone.
I donā€™t know if there are diode lasers (with a different beam length/color) that can handle clear acrylic, but if there is one, a proper extraction is still needed.

Ok do you know if i can just which out the laser light on the machine with a stronger laser light?

Unfortunately, I donā€™t think itā€™s possible. Diode laser works fundamentally differently than CO2 laser.
But maybe a user with ā€œthe newā€ stronger diode lasers can explain if they can cut clear acrylic. The information I have read about these diode lasers says that there are up to 4 diodes combined into one beam. But if itā€™s the same beam length (color), then I donā€™t think itā€™s possible. A laser in the infrared spectrum (non-visible laser beam) is used to cut clear acrylic.

2 Likes

If you are cutting through a material, the honeycomb helps. It keeps the heat from being reflected back up into the material from the bottom, once you cut through. It is well worth it and there are options that are not too expensive.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t have air assist on your laser it may be hard to cut ANY color acrylic, as the plastic will cool and set after the laser passes. On my Scuplfun S10 I had to turn air assist on MAX and cut at 130 mm/min and 60% power (diode laser). Clear and very light colors of plastic will not cut as the beam hits nothing to generate the heat needed to melt the plastic.

1 Like

I have a co2, when I cut I use the least amount of pressure to keep the lens free of debrisā€¦ If I bump the pressure up, I get undesirable edges.

None of these emf ā€˜beamsā€™ are hotā€¦ like sunlight, the emf excites the molecules and we perceive the result as heat.

When you cut, you need somewhere for the debris to flow besides back up. Most people that cut raise the material up and that area is where the debris flows.

Doesnā€™t matte how you support it as long as itā€™s firm enough to hold everything in place.

Iā€™d suggest something other than honeycomb, but in the end the choice is yours. I have one, if you live near and want to come get it, you can have itā€¦

Iā€™d also suggest a co2 extinguisher.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Hello could you mail it to my post office box? I can pay for it to be send over.

Does anyone knows a number i can call to talk to a professional so i wonā€™t burn my house down lol?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.