DIY 80w diode laser + cnc

USD$6500 and Number of Emitters=19

More than I paid for my 130W Reci

Yes, Bo it’s expensive, that’s why I wrote it. :wink:
That should explain a bit that it is some incomprehensible nonsense when people talk about a 30-40 and now even 80Watt diode laser, all built on a max. 5-7Watt laser diode.

Questions for all wise CO2 and Diode laser people:
My laser beam coming from the tube is approx. 6mm in diameter and has an effect of approx. 37Watt, measured with a laser power meter. When the beam passes the lens, the beam at the focus point is approx. 0.1 mm. Does this mean that this factor 60 lifts my 37Watt laser to a 2220Watt laser?

Another question for your children:
Little Tony`s flashlight can reach 50 meters. Will he be able to get up to 100 meters with 2 flashlights if he got one more flashlight as a birthday present? :thinking: :flashlight: :flashlight:

There are 19 diodes in that bar array. 80/19 = 4.2W/diode

The module only, by Coherent is about US$1500. $6500 is a lot to pay for fibre pigtails and a power supply.

It is very interesting, what are the advantages of this type of diode laser instead of for example a fiber or CO2 laser, and what is it used for?

It is a laboratory bench laser - used for experiments in light.

You could mate it to a galvanometric head and cut with it, I suppose.

if you look at the review it has, people say it work good and cuts really good.

At $6500, I would expect it to.

That type of laser is somewhat of a trick for the wattage, the wattage reported is assumed by many as the light energy when it fact is is power needed to power the module. The actual light energy is 27.5% of the reported wattage typical, i.e. 22 Watts. I have many different output power diode lasers. I found that depending on the task different output diodes work better, 4W (15W reported) seem to be best for image engraving and the 22W (80W reported) works better for cutting. Possible a grbl-lpc controller with 1000 power increments will make tuning better.
I also found that laser engraver and cnc spindle is too different to make work well. It is better to make 2 machines (or 2 gantries). Ignoring the issues with controllers/firmware to make it work the 2 machines are significantly different. Lasers are built for speed, light weight for high speed. Spindles are built for strength, heavy and slow.

1 Like

Yeah but no.

Chinese and Russian marketers found that people weren’t buying their 2.5W and 4W ‘pumped’ diodes, so decided to lie about them and made up some story about power drain being the metric, after lying about the ‘optical output’ and being called on it, because it’s really easy to measure.

The worlds most powerful diode has 6-7W optical output. It has a voltage range of 3.6V to 5.2V at 3.0A, so an electrical drain of 10W to 15W.

Unless there are multiple discrete diodes ganged together and with a combined optical output, any claim of power in excess of 7W is simply lying and done for no other reason than marketing to rubes to extract $$$ from the gullible and hard-of-reading.

I fully expect the next metric out of Russia to be watts of heat generated, as a badly-cooled diode can generate a lot of those.

1 Like

Hi Lucky Shot

Thank you for posting here…I do find your information helpful.

May I ask:

1. Have you made any progress with your project?
  2. Which board did you end up using?
  3. Have you been able to test the laser diode? Are you happy with its cutting and engraving performance?

Thank you

Well… I do work with that laser and is so good. But I installed on Neje master 2s max frame and board. They work good together.

Thanks Alexandru. If I may ask, what materials and thicknesses are you cutting and engraving?

For now I just cut 3mm birch plywood (this is what I need now) and I cut it at 400mm/min x2 passes with air assist

Have been looking for a more powerful Diode laser, and have seen recently that Neje have produced a twin Diode 80 watt 15 watt claimed output module , using 2 x laser diodes producing a square dot, I was Very sceptical, but found some that have upgraded with youtube videos, supporting the claim,

not cheap ! but also need to be careful you but the correct module, 30w 50 w or 80 watt.
I want but a little pricey, and does not seem to be available In any UK outlet only via Neje store or Bangood etc, so not sure what the additional costs of import would put on top, dual diodes seem to be emerging now there are others as well, but to date , this is the most powerful I have seen.

If you read this whole thread you would know that the 80W claim is not NEJE’s and is total BS. The laser in question has two 20W power input diodes that are optically combined to make the two beams into one. I wish people would stop propagating this crap so that others don’t keep ‘discovering’ the lie.

Really sorry was just saying what was claimed as a Neje unit on E-bay, o as you would also read i did say clamed as 15 w output seems far fetched and i do realise it is a twin diode combined head. i guess as the unit i saw was on neje OWN shop site , that web site must be fake, but never mind I will ask your permission before posting any diode info I find, as not to upset you,
I would assume the actual output is more like 10 watt optical as , most of the manufacturers do like to claim more than what is real.
Perhaps you should check this link, and see that this is a claim of Neje.

I already know what it says, I’m not the one passing around bogus information. And don’t bother to check with me for permission as you’ll not get any response from me.

I was being Sar car stick, but its ok , i know and have met many like you on several forums, and know exactly what I am not going to bother conversing with beyond this point.
A person that generally would have no problem giving an Aspin a headache…
obviously you should send your CV into lightburn and apply to be the Forum Police !

I recommend you to use The Ruida controller, the model is RDV6442G. This controller has camera function, supports Z axis and supports LIGHTBRN
云雷瑞达RDV6442G+CCD视觉激光控制器 – 云光激光 (cloudraylaser.com)