Does Chinese 40k Co2 laser have good customer support

Same, it seams to be only the bigger machines and more specifically expensive machines. I’ve come to realize that I’m almost better to spend 5-8 K on a thunder laser and have a good China laser with a good warranty on everything along with good American customer support which is based in Texas. But I don’t have that kind of money so I’m just stuck waiting till I billed up that kind of cash, meanwhile I’m studying how to use them, so when I do I can Rock and Roll!!

I agree

the K40 is a toy, it doesnt matter what you do to it it will not produce the results of a quality Thunder or epilog laser, you will always get black edges despite turning the power down cranking up the air assist etc

they are just not designed to work like the better quality machines are but thats why there is a price difference of 5 k, we try and push the envelope with the K40 and its ok but never will be brilliant, I have used a thunder and they are fantastic machines , so easy to use, line up focus, all the aggro is gone and you can just shut the lid knowing your piece is cut out perfect in a few seconds or engraved beautifully.

The k40 was never made for that, I dont know enough about the higher K50 and 60’s as to whether they were stamp cutting machines or are proper lasers designed to be used as the Thunders. I have never bothered looking as my budget does not go to that level.

I only got the lasers to have a play, its a hobby not a business although now I am getting orders and am being frustrated by either the machine or my lack of knowledge on graphics software.

SO which way do I turn, there are no schools where I am, theres no lynda training on lightburn I believe. I really dont want to be a graphic designer, its not my forte, I like to tinker and lightburn does that I just wish there was more training for it but the software is sold at a incredible price and they do their best to provide videos but the cost of the software doesnt allow them to provide intensive training videos , They simply dont have the resources and I dont blame them for that. They provide an incredible software at a price which is ridiculously cheap.

I just wish there was more out there t take me into the depths of it and understand how it works more as I struggle with it at times which is my fault.

Perhaps a course in corel or illustrator might help to understand more.

Finally I do struggle with the cost of the Thunder machines, 6000 GBP for a entry level laser, We need something in the 3k region to get the hobbyist a decent machine that is not chinese and based on what is inside a k40/50/60 laser they do not cost 6k to make a small one in europe or the us.

I am also seriously thinking of dumping my one, buying a bigger tube and build my own frame using open builds frames or cheaper extrusions using decent mirrors and lens and take it from there, 1500 will build that and you will have a thunder laser with a motorised Z axis. I have done the sums and you could do a kit for that , it would still need some enclosure but that can just be pop riveted on to the frame using panels.

My Workbee cost nearly 2k so I would be more than happy to drop 1500 on a open framed kit… It really is not that expensive to build one of these when you start stripping it down to its bare essentials…

Kickstarter??

When you jump from a K40 style laser which are only advertised for stamp making to the larger lasers, there is a big difference. I paid $1800.00 for my 60 watt large adjustable bed laser and have been using it for the last 3 years with only a bad power supply to show for wear. The seller has also been great in handling issues. (I seem to be lucky on that front.) It came with upgraded lens holders, Ruida controller, and all components are heavy duty and user replaceable/repairable. The difference is amazing but I would not have upgraded if I had not had the K40 as a stepping stone and learning experience. You get what you pay for but you also need to be a person who can work on your laser and not need hand holding. If you are going to run a business, buy a quality laser with support. If you are going to use it for hobby, buy what you can afford and do not complain because you did not buy a better laser in the first place. There is no lack of opinions on the web so do your homework and enjoy the ride!

HN hits topic very precisely. The K40 machines are an affordable and necessary stopover for the larger CO2 laser machines from China, almost the basic education in laser work. If you can handle a K40, you can handle one of the “real lasers ”

1 Like

It depends as I don’t want have to do all the upgrades, plus I already ran a 40,000 Volt laser, as long as I got customer support I’m good to go