Easy inlays with Lightburn and laser

I’ve been really inspired by Broinwood’s magnificent cutting boards such as this one…

Hattori Hanzo cutting board #1 / butcher block. Cnc inlay. Wood inlay 4k video. - YouTube

While he’s using CNC router methods to create pockets and the contrasting inlay pieces, I wanted to see if I could reasonably mimic those operations with a laser. Using my recently purchased Atezr 36W laser, I can now create reasonably clean and quick 2mm to 3mm deep pockets and inlays in a single pass in the red cedar, oak, and pine from the abundant downed tree limbs and lumber scraps that I can easily “plank out” (here, ~6mm thickness) with my bandsaw and belt sander.

After a few rather frustrating days trying to use the kerf offset settings in Lightburn to make consistently nice-fitting inlays, I finally came up with a workflow that produces inlays that are quite accurately fit and quick to do. The method I describe here sounds (reads) worse than it actually is… Lightburn makes it easy, once you’ve done it a few times.

First, it’s crucial to know your laser’s kerf-width. Here, I used a popular method of cutting out 19 segments using 20 cuts.

Pushing all the segments to one end and carefully measuring the gap with digital calipers, I measured a 3.37 mm gap. Divide that by 20 to come up with 0.169 mm for your laser’s full kerf-width… and use half that for kerf offset in Lightburn, when needed.

Normally “kerf offset”, as used in woodworking, is applied to the “waste” side of the cut… adjusted outward for outside shapes and inward for inside shapes. But when you start dealing with irregular male and female parts (pockets and inlay)… what’s “waste” and where is the “kerf” applied? It got confusing quickly and I kept getting worse and worse results.

So, then I started playing with the Offset Shapes tool in Lightburn. I started with my inlay shape in outline mode and then offset all lines, BOTH inward and outward by 0.08 mm, about half of the 0.169 mm above… much like a 2-lane highway’s centerline and the adjacent lanes’ edge lines. Deleting the unneeded original “centerline” during the offset operation, you’re left with double lines, each one-half a kerf-width on either side of the original line.

From there, select all the inward edges and put them on the “pocket” layer. Then select all the outward edges and move them to the “inlay layer”… and, while still selected, move them to the right. These relationships are important… if reversed, you’ll have ill-fitting parts, like the bottom-most inlay shown below…

Side-by-side in Lightburn, you now have two images, "pocket’ on the left, “inlay” on the rightdiffering by one full kerf-width. The left image, “pocket”, is essentially done. Also, it’ll speed things up to pay particular attention to what’s selected when finishing an Offset Shapes operation.… most often it’s exactly what’s needed for the next operation and saves confusion should you click elsewhere and deselect it.

The right image, still selected from the move to the right, must now be mirrored horizontally. Using the Offset Shapes tool once again, create a 5mm or so “clearance” area, (outward, outer shapes only) around the actual inlay, which will remove any material that will prevent the inlay and pocket from mating together. Still selected, now create another offset 1mm outward and then put it onto a third layer, the “inlay_profile” layer, with power and speed settings sufficient to cut completely through the material. Still selected, this profile cutline is currently 1mm proud of the “clearance edge”, so move it back, using the Offset Shapes tool once again… inward 1mm to coincide with the edge of the clearance area. It should now look like this…

This actually completes the process of creating side-by-side “pocket” and “inlay” pieces. All that remains is to set the “Cuts/layers” setting for the three layers. Use “fill” on the “pocket” and “inlay” layers to deeply engrave (here, 2-3mm depth)… and add a “line” sub-layer to each – with no kerf allowance – to cleanly outline each shape to full depth. The third layer, “inlay_profile”, settings should be set to complete cut through the material. And, finally, insure the layers are in the following order… “pocket”, “inlay”, and “inlay_profile”.

You can now export the gcode (if not using direct LB control) to process just one, or both, of the “pocket” and “inlay” images. I show here both to the same plank of material…

The upper-most image was done using the method just described…

Here, the V1 logo is done similarly in one material for “fit-check”…

Finally, the “pocket” and “inlay” gcode files can be saved and run separately, on contrasting materials, to achieve the most striking results…

Ratty materials will, of course, cause the usual voids and imperfections that will need repair with a little glue and sawdust… but the kerf lines should look reasonably uniform and clean, regardless.

I also found that CA glue can be used rather than the white wood glue… and it greatly speeds up the process. No more overnight waiting… you can have the finished inlay merely minutes after glue-up.

I suspect the “inlay” piece might actually be replaced by “powder/sawdust and CA glue” methods for an even quicker result… if that’s desired.

– David

7 Likes

Here’s trotek laser video of the process…

Yours looks great… so does the inlay in the link…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Looks so good!

1 Like

I also use the offset tool for this. I played around with kerf offsets but found that just using an offset of “xx” amount was more consistent. Also I am not a fan of CA types of glue and instead use Lepage Cabinet makers glue. Its only 20 minute dry time and very strong. As a cabinet maker I just use what I know. Nice inlays and I am sure they will only get better.

1 Like

There is a lot of how-to detail in this posting, some of which can be applied to other projects. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, all. I’ll also have to go check out that Trotek video…

– David

I’ll wrap it up with this post… for completeness sake.

Lightburn really does make this an easy workflow. It takes way longer to engrave the pieces (< 30 minutes per piece) than to actually do the logo processing and gcode generation. Glue up with CA glue and within minutes you can cut away the waste and hit it with the belt sander…

A little wipe-down with some Danish oil (natural)… on red cedar and pine.

I must admit it makes them “pop”… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Then started playing some more to see what kind of detail I can get… an inlay piece…

for this buddy of mine. I’m proud of the linework and nostrils.

Another buddy’s logo in both dark-on-light…

and light-on-dark.

And, finally, what we’ve all been waiting for… “sawdust and thin (wicking) super-glue” inlay on a botched "pocket-attempt-becomes-test-piece". [Sorry, if you’re a leg man.] I didn’t try to separate the cedar sawdust from the pine so it’s a mix… and doesn’t look bad IMO. There are a couple of areas that could stand to be filled with more sawdust and glue but since it’s a test piece I think it’s already told us what I’m sure we were just dying to know… :roll_eyes:

Far from perfect, a ratty piece of cedar… left voids and cracks that I “repaired” with sawdust and glue… left interesting effects.

Nice legs (for those among us)…

nice face and hair (love the part in her hair)…

and in all her glory… about 6" tall.

– David

4 Likes

Those are great…

Can’t go wrong with either Tux or Betty…

1 Like

Nice work!

Wood is very inconsistent by nature and getting fine detail is a challenge!

2 Likes

Want to try this Mayan or Starwars calendar.

I’d love to see it… someone else did one somewhere in the past… looked pretty cool.

1 Like

I saw that, too… it was in the Trotek video you linked above. I may have to give it a try…

At the scale I’m working, I think the Starwars/Mayan calendars are probably a bit out of reach for me right now. I’m still playing around with the method though…

Hot off the press laser. Doing both light-on-dark and dark-on-light versions…

The cedar plank had a crack in it that I had to super-glue beforehand and I should have sanded a bit more carefully and repaired the tiny divots, etc… but overall the “fit” seems pretty good.

I’m also gonna start using wood glue again. I was too impatient while testing to wait overnight for each glue-up to dry so resorted to CA glue. Now that I’ve got things reasonably dialed in I don’t mind the waiting. For some reason the big globs of CA glue in the glue-up puts out some really nasty fumes when sanding on the belt sander.

– David

2 Likes

As someone who’s gone through hundreds of litres of Titebond original, I can definitely say you don’t need to wait overnight for a glue up. At a comfortable indoor temperature the workable cure time is around 20 minutes for Titebond 1 - longer for 2 and 3, the waterproof varieties.

If you’re really cranking away you can actually heat up your glue, and it will cure faster. Works great in the winter too, when the ambient temp in my shop meant glue didn’t cure… but I had parts to make!

I use a baby bottle warmer, essentially a little hot water vessel that can live on the table with an open top - I lined mine with a thick poly bag to keep the bottles dry while I worked.

6 Likes

lol… that is so cute!

Titebond has very similar properties to Lepages Cabinet pro. I have used both types but stuck with the Lepage. Both have fast dry times 20 mins or less

2 Likes

Thanks, guys. I was only doing the “overnight” thing because I was glueing up, most of the time, late in the evening. I got some Titebond this morning and have another inlay in-work… should be able to finish it up this evening.

– David

1 Like

My grand-daughter is quite the artist… and did a line-drawing caricature of my dog, Mac, and me. I’m satisfied I can get good detail with the method now… used the Titebond III I bought this morning. It’s definitely the way to go…

– David

4 Likes

I somewhat agree, II isn’t waterproof, ONLY III is.
20 minutes to unclamp is OK, but not to machine.
For light machining you can stretch the envelope and get by with 2 hours.
If you’re turning make sure to got a full 12+ hours

SO cute!!.

My Lightburn choked on this one in Preview. DeltaCAD loaded it but cannot export SVG.

Try this one… it’s had a few fixes after I got the dxf… it’s for the 12" square mirror tiles… This project file did the two on the right.

1 Like