Engrave tumblers with 10 watt laser

It is a console command, entered with a $number =value

I.e. $32=1000

Do try a small square with scan angle of 00. Your cups will allow a lot more testing if you don’t do huge shapes.

Try a small sample of letters at 2400 instead of 3000.

I see now that it not a just a small tumbler, it is a large jug. For the really large stuff, slower move speed is required when your primary move axis is the roller due to their higher inertia.

It’s not a big jug. It’s just a 12 oz beer cozy. But I will follow your advice and go small letters!! Filled this one up way to quick. :upside_down_face: :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Do some more testing in the morning. Hope you don’t get tired of me, I REALLY appreciated all of your help.

1 Like

Duane, just wanted to say “Hi.” UH-1 maintainer and later US Army pilot. I will miss them till I take my dirt nap. Challenge 4.

Welcome Home Ron!! Crew chief on D & H model slicks down in the Delta. Got there in December of 68’ and WIA in May of 69’. Fell in love with the Huey the first time I touched her. Always say when they retire the H-60 the crew will fly home in a Huey!!!

Thanks. Glad you seem to have recovered!
I was a Cold War Soldier, but forever felt I’d been taught by the best. '92 they only took UH-60s, later I was a loggie flying a desk and they had other uses for me. I truly wish that statement was true. My last job was working with authorization documents “MTOE,” and all the authorizations were gone. :disappointed_relieved: I got a little time in Blackhawks, felt they were overly complicated with little “bang for the buck.” Like anyone cares what I thought LOL. Got this about settled out? I’v got one of the XTool S1 starting to learn LB.

Duane, Did you learn to fly at Ft Walters?

James, RTIC is it’s own brand, they are sold a lot of places. They are made by a guy that created the Yeti, but felt that the Yeti owner was too greedy, so he set out to make a more affordable option. They are just like Yetis.

1 Like

No, Glenn. I wasn’t a pilot. I was a crewchief on Huey’s and as soon as the pilot pulled pitch I was then also a door gunner. Had a sweet little M-60 machine gun that kept me company in my gun well. :grin: :upside_down_face:

Checking back on this topic. What worked best for you?

Hi, Jim. Using the 90* scan things are coming out good. Depending on the brand my speed is between 1800 & 3000 and the power between 50% & 80%. Again, want to thank you for the help, you were a life saver, not to mention a “cash” saver. :joy: :grinning:

1 Like

Ran into a really tough beer cooler. Do not know if there is anything I can do about it. The lower “Lars” is 10 min/in @ 100% power with 4 passes! The closeup of the two pictures looks much better than it actually does. The upper “Lars” is the same setting but only 3 passes.

I get ridges like that in the metal when I don’t use 90* engrave angle.

Is your lens clean? Paint fumes can deposit gunk on the lens or cover piece.

Is your focal length done right?

I’ll clean the laser today and see if that helps. The focal point is set by the drop-down focus arm on the laser and I’ll try the 90* angle again. I’ll let you know what the result is although it might tomorrow before I can get to it.

No hurry, amigo. I am here for the long term.

Hope you can sort out the issue easily. You can try to defocus the beam. Put the laser 1-2mm above the focus point. The beam will diverge from fine focus to a little bit wider spot. Not as hot, but also not as sharp.

It’s always wise to do a ramp test and you can see the proper focus point along with the associated depth of focus (dof).

:smile_cat:

James, I gave up on the cheap can coolers. Even though they where half the cost of others coolers the amount of laser time having to do 4 passes at 10 in/min at 100% and still not get a good product it was costing me time and money. Lesson learned! Garbage in, garbage out. :smiley: :upside_down_face: :crazy_face:
Once again Thanks for your help!1

1 Like

Thanks, Jack, I will watch the video and learn how to do the ramp tests. Sounds like that will help by not wasting product experimenting trying to find that sweet spot!

Your test pieces will last a lot longer if you just use a small square or oval, rather than a full design :wink:

You are so right, just have to get in the habit of doing that!! I do kept using it AFTER the first burn. Guess I always hope I’ll get that good burn on the first try. :smiley: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.