Engraving a picture, laser shuts down in about 3 to 4 minutes

Engraving a picture, laser shuts down in about 3 to 4 minutes. Only 10% of picture completed.

Ortur Laser Master 2 20w using Laser GRBL v3.8.0
Laser Spd 1400.0 / Pwr 40.0

I have engraved a radioactive symbol 2" in Diameter and a Logo also 2" in Diameter, both took about 13 minutes and completed Fine - Laser Spd 1400.0 / Pwr 35.0

This is what was in the Console:

ok

Exceeding the maximum exposure time of the laser!

In weak laser mode, the maximum time allowed is 100 second.

None weak laser mode , the maximum time allowed is in the range from 10 to 60 second , according to the power .

Reset Grbl.

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

Using LightBurn 0.9.16

This is going to be one for @OrturTech

This is very strange because the only way that warning can happen is if the laser is on a single point during 60 secs without x and y movement.
Which we wouldnt consider possible in a simple raster operation

Could you rerun the same work, at 1% power so not to spoil any material, and see if the same happens again or by chance that was a message left behind in console by a previous operation?

Re-ran job at 1% power, job stopped at about 4 minutes, laser went busy. Stopped at 4% complete.
Console reads:
ok

Homing

ALARM:8

ok

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

Project loaded in 458 milliseconds

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:09

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:00

ok

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:09

ok

ok

ok

<Idle|MPos:140.000,115.000,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

Starting stream

Layer C02

That is all that is in the console when the laser went “Busy”
Device Manager - bits per second 57600
Laser GRBL - Baud 57600
LightBurn 0.9.16 - Machine Settings - “Communication with controller failed”
Unable to continue or finish the engaving job.

Alarm:8 isn’t a good sign - It might indicate something is wired or configured incorrectly:

“ALARM:8” : _(“Homing fail. Cycle failed to clear limit switch when pulling off. Try increasing pull-off setting or check wiring.”),

How do you increase the pull-off setting?

I found the pull-off setting in LaserGRBL Configuration, changed the distance from 2.0mm to 4.0mm and no longer getting “ALARM 8”. Thanks

Tried running the job again - Spd 1200 / Pwr 1.0. Laser stopped at 17:39 - 18%
Machine Settings - LightBurn 0.9.16 - “Communication with controller failed”
Laser Busy
Unable to reconnect - have to power off Ortur Laser Master 2, then power back on and it reconnects - Laser Ready.

Try securing the Ortur end of usb cable with tape etc. to rule out contact drop due vibration or movement.

Buying 2 ferrite cable clamps, I am using the usb cable that came with the Ortur Laser Master 2. Started testing using LaserGRBL so far no issues, laser still losing connection with controller in LightBurn.

I would say a bad board. It happened to me, replaced board with a different brand, never happened again. Replace the control board especially when it happens at the same time and place.

It is hit and miss, if I re-run the job after it fails, it runs completely through, but first time engraving a picture seems to fail anywhere between 4 minutes and 18 minutes. What board would you suggest? are there any boards that have enough memory to engrave a picture on them? that would eliminate the USB cable comm. issues. Thanks

Here is what I am now using:

I t 3 axis but only use 2… for now.

Is this a plug and play board that will work with my Laser Master 2 20w or will I have to make some custom cables? With the offline control and memory card can you download lightburn jobs to it and run them from the card? Thanks

It was plug and play for me. I think I had to flip 2 wires on each stepper motor. Load your machine settings, maybe calibrate your step moves, maybe not. I think the steps are steps in your machine settings. But best to check and adjust. Otherwise it was plug and play. I flipped the wire connectors by using a tiny jeweler screw drive to release the lock on the pin and reinsert as needed.

Thanks - sounds easy enough. Just had to switch polarity on the stepper motors. Do you have an Ortur Laser Master 2? Are you using the offline option? If so how is it working? Thanks

I have a 65 by 50 CM china set up, no brand name as I know. USB from dedicated pc connection with Lightburn as my connection to the board.

I am still on the trail version, I have 10 days left, can I get an extension ? I would like to see this work through 1 picture. If I can get this resolved I will purchase it.

I don’t know… ask the support team.