Etched wine glasses

I volunteer at our local animal shelter and they have various auctions and fundraising events throughout the year to help keep the lights on and the food bowls full.

I was asked if I would be willing to do a set of wine glasses with their logo for one of their auctions.
(My answer was yes)

9 Likes

You have done just fine, the glasses look good and the logo itself is clearly visible without being flashy like some advertising glasses I have seen elsewhere.

Very nice. Would you be willing to document your process?
Settings, rendering method, how you chucked the glass, any special coatings?,…

Glasses were done on a chuck type rotary. Rotary has been “pimped” out with a few minor mods, like leveling feet so I can tip the rotary up at an angle to get the glass surface parallel to laser travel and a cone at the “dead end” to hold the open end of glasses. Somewhere there’s a “rotary mods” thread that shows it. Ahh, here it is: Rotary chuck mods or accessories

80 watt Ruida red&black. Speed around 400mm/s. Power for these was 17%. DPI = 300. Power requirement can vary a LOT between different types of glassware. Too much power seems to lead to chipping around the edges of designs and letters. Go easy.

No coatings. I wash and dry the glass, put it in the chuck and blast it.

I usually use a 2” or even a 2-1/2” lens.

When I started, I used 1-1/2”because in theory the dot size is smaller and resolution better.

The problem is that glassware can be amazingly un-round. You can put a glass in the chuck, measure for perfect focus, then rotate the glass 45° and find you’re 2 mm or more out of focus because the glass is slightly oval or has a side with a bit of a flat spot. Add to that the fact that a lot of glassware (like wine glasses) can have a lot of vertical curvature and that adds greatly to the focus problem. You need a pretty good depth of focus to do glassware.

It took me quite a while to figure out decent settings for my machine. Dollar store glasses are good practice. I learned a lot from wrecking $20 in cheap glassware.

7 Likes