Etching anodized Aluminum--setting?

I posted this 9 days ago. Today, I can’t replicate. Lines come out dark, not silvery. Same laser, same set up. Multiple attempts. On the left is 9 days ago, on the right is today. Is this a setting that I changed by mistake?

Of course there are setting that can change it. Such as $30 (= S-value max) & $31 values. This can change the pwm range.

Speed will also change it, both machine and software in the same units.?

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Max power values the same in each test, speed same in each test. Physical size the same each test. I don’t imagine min power would have any effect.

Grab two new blanks, Put one in the refrigerator and one on the heat register. Then retest one cooler than previous work and one warmer than previous work.

Sometimes the initial temperature is critical. A couple of degrees can throw engraving results in other materials. I feel it may be prudent to exaggerate a test case to see if this is what’s happening.

I feel it less likely that you reset your spindle power but you can check that by opening the console window and typing the following:
$$
then hit enter.
scroll back up to $30=1000 ( it’s usually 1000)
then make sure it’s the same in the Device Settings window by hitting Edit on the top bar and scrolling down to Device Settings.

Let us know what you discover.

WOW. It was focus distance. I played around some more and it turns out the laser module was just a little off. I set everything up again and reset the laser and it is etching properly. I had been under the understanding that an ‘out of focus’ laser either would not etch or would etch given more power or more/slower runs. Instead, it seems that focus is absolutely critical. WOW!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.