Ethernet cord vs usb how do I set it up?

I have an Omtech 80W laser and the USB plug is bad so I bought a USB to Ethernet converter and cable but can’t get it to connect computer to laser. It asked me for the IP address so I got that from my Ruida controller butstll not working. I also realized that my license had expired for Lightburn so I took care of that but it still isn’t working. Is it a lightburn issue or what am I doing wrong?

Did you review the guide here?

Ethernet Connection (Ruida) - LightBurn Documentation (lightburnsoftware.com)

Are you familiar with networking concepts? If your network setup is the most typical case then this isn’t so bad but anything slightly different would benefit from some knowledge of network configuration.

Also, how have you determined that the USB is bad?

1 Like

I have an 80W Omtech CO2 with a Ruida controller. I have tested the USB and it doesn’t work on anything. This is the 5th or 6th USB I’ve replaced and want a secure connection so I want to set up a connection using an Ethernet cable. I’ve also seen videos about how easily USB cables break and aren’t reliable. The Louisiana Hobby Guy did a video and I tried following his video but I still couldn’t connect to my laser. Then my computer crashed so now I have a new computer but still can’t get it to work because I need the drivers I guess to download on my new computer. I don’t know where to go to find them and Omtech doesn’t respond very quickly when you ask for help so I’m on here trying to get what I need. I have pending orders that I need to get out but can’t do anything because I can’t get lightburn to connect to my laser.

Ethernet drivers typically ship with your machine. If networking on ethernet works at all you should be good to go there.

Did you follow the guide that I posted earlier? Have you made any attempt at connecting? If so, what did you do, what did you expect to happen, and what happened instead?

Yes I did, and it says that I’m disconnected. I followed the instructions and put the IP address into lightburn and on my controller, and tried to connect, it didn’t on lightburn it is showing disconnected. I expected to be able to connect and use my laser.

Can you take photos and screenshots for the following:

1. IP configuration on the Ruida display
  2. IP configuration for the ethernet controller on your computer
  3. IP configuration for your wifi network if you are using one on the computer that you connect to the laser
  4. IP configuration in LightBurn for your device

Also, how have you connected the computer and Ruida? Is this a direct connection? Or are you going through a switch?

Did you follow this?

:smile_cat:

Here are the photos of my settings

Do you have your pc and the laser at the same IP?

Can’t do that…

I don’t use windows, so I don’t know what I’m looking at…

:smile_cat:

Yes they are both on the same IP, mask and gateway.

Did you manually configure the IP for ethernet on your computer?

Do you have wifi on the computer? If so, what is the assigned IP for wifi?

Yes I manually set it up using the documentation. Yes I have WIFI on my computer

So here is another photo of my computer settings

Should have asked in the last post but how is the computer connected to the laser? Is it direct or are you going through a hub or switch?

I have the ethernet cable con ected directly from my computer to the laser no swit h or anything just the ethernet cable.

Okay. In that case please make these changes:

1. On the computer, reconfigure the IP of the ethernet to 10.0.3.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.0.3.3
  2. On the Ruida, change IP to 10.0.3.3, gateway of 10.0.3.100
  3. In LightBurn, change IP for Ruida device to 10.0.3.3

Change nothing on the wifi side.

Once setup, retest. If that doesn’t work, can you send updated photos/screenshots of these same images?

How do I change the settings on the computer? I’m not a programmer I can barely get to the settings without instructions.

Can you run this command from a command prompt? Then copy all the text here? I’d like to see all the available entries.

netsh interface ipv4 show config

It looks like you have at least 2 separate ethernet adapter ports. Is that correct? Which one is connected to the laser?

Also, upon closer inspection I believe the IP information you sent earlier may have been for your wifi, not one of the ethernet ports. That’s fine for now given the information that the command above should give but wanted to document for completion.

I don’t know how to change the computer IP address can you tell me how to do that and where to go to do that?