Extend multiple lines simultaneously

I’m designing puzzles and use Inkscape centerline trace to get the shapes as a vector. However, the shapes aren’t completely closed. Using Adobe Illustrator trace results in the same issue.
Trying to fix this in lightburn, I could extend every single line one by one but that’s a lot of work. Is there a way to extend all these lines easier? Would be nice if there is a feature similar to ‘auto-join selected shapes’ for lines. (auto-extend selected lines… )

Or does anyone have an idea how to do this differently?

I suspect the reason you’re getting disconnected segments is that centerline trace “dislikes” y-type or t-type intersections and the result is to lop off the branch from the original design. I realize this is not an answer to your query, merely a supposition. I see some contradictions to this supposition in your image, but that could be locations you’ve manually connected/corrected.

It’s a sort of topology puzzle that doesn’t easily present an answer.

Hi Fred,
I agree with your analysis; it’s certainly related to that. I use software that creates images like this one and then trace the lines. Creates cool puzzles but with a lot of manual work that I’d like to automate a bit…

A combination of blur, threshold and edge-detect in an outside program might do what you need.

Any luck with this?

No, that doesn’t work. The shapes are not closed and not supposed to be closed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.