Feature request: edit number and color of layers

Hello,

I understand that the number of layers (00_black, 01_blue, …29_yellow) was initially limited due to some controllers having a limited number of banks of memory for each layer to be stored in, however I believe it would be beneficial to some users to be able to modify this max number (and also possibly the color assigned to each layer).

For me this is most frequently an issue when I am planning to cut a test coupon to test speed vs power on a material. On my standard test there is 101 variations and it must be done in 4 separate operations.

I mentioned the colors too because although they don’t bother me personally, in speaking with other users I have heard two complaints, A: that some colors are too light and B: that some colors aren’t different enough from each other (ex. 01 and 09 / 04 and 29).

I understand that this isn’t a feature or setting that everyone would use, but I doubt the customization would bother anyone and could work well as either a setting menu or an ini file.

Regards,
Trent S.

For the layer count, you can get around the limit for the specific thing you want it for:

Oz,

I believe that this will solve my immediate need for running test coupons. Thank you.

I do think that the ability to have more control over the software would be useful in certain situations (for instance needing more [or less] than the allotted 30 layer channels) but can understand if it is not a priority as the average user would be unlikely to use that feature.

I have asked my friend, Joe, to join the forum to ask about his issues with the color and he said that he would think about it. He is an older man and he tries to avoid computers whenever he can. I did some brief searching and was unable to find him a solution.

Thank you again for your prompt and adequate response in helping me with a solution to print my test coupons in one run.

Regards,
Trent S.

I spent quite a while trying to choose colors that were “different enough” from each other, and dark enough to be seen. It’s not particularly easy, and at some point I might have to get the computer to try doing it for me, testing a whole lot of combinations and seeing what it can come up with. The ones I’m least happy with are the two light pinks (23 & 24) and the lightest yellow (29). Otherwise the colors aren’t bad, though some are hard to tell apart.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.