Fill to edge of cut

Hello.
I’ve been using lightburn for a bit and I’ll often make 3-dimensional shapes from flat-cut pieces, which means I’ll often use fill/engraving as “depth”, basically for assembling. This means fills will very often go to the edge of the piece being cut out.
I’m familiar with sub-layers and recreating the old “Fill+Line” mode, but I only want the outer lines to be cut. Is there a way to do this?
I thought it was answered in this forum post: Trying to fill in between the outside lines
However, the “Line” sub-layer will cut the inner line as well, it seems, and I only want it to cut the outer one without having to add another line entirely. For a piece like this it would be easy to just use the Offset tool, and make the outer offset line set to “fill” (so it goes past the cut and therefore all the way to the edge), and the original line set to “line” to cut it out, but I have cuts to make where there’s often engraving only on one edge.
Is there a way to do this easier with sub-layers, where the “line” sublayer only cuts the outer edge, or is that a kind of unreasonable expectation? I can kind of understand the difficulty of implementing such a feature, but I’m hoping I’m just using the “Fill+Line” thing wrong or there’s another way to do it if not.

If I’m understanding you correctly then no, you cannot do this by simply changing the operation or any number of sublayers.

It sounds like you’re saying you have one set of shapes that you want treated two different ways where one of the different ways would require that certain shapes are ignored.

All shapes will always be evaluated unless they’re somehow explicitly excluded. You could do this by duplicating the shapes that you want and placing on a different layer. But as you say, that requires duplicate shapes.

Ok, that’s what I figured. I think I did find an easier way to manipulate the shapes to make my work at least a little easier. When I get a moment I’ll take some screenshots and go over what I did here.
Thanks!

This may be pretty basic for many people here, but I’ve been using this technique in one way or another for a while and I think it will probably be helpful for others, so I made a video:

https://youtu.be/q8b-gr3r8HY?si=9Bz79HuLukDpA4Ob

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.