How to test 22w laser module with direct power

HI All so i have a Creality Falcon 2 22w
I have a cardboard flare up and i am not sure if the laser module or diodes has be hurt, is there a way i can test it direct without the controls just to make sure the diodes are working

You are going to have to come up with some more technical information if you want some help.

Unless someone has disassembled one of these and figured it out, it’s likely you’re not going to find much help.

If you had images of how it came apart and what plugged into what board we could take make a guess at it… this is a black box with a bunch of cabling hanging out of it. With most of this stuff you can’t depend on wire color to actually match anything.

Maybe @misken has some help for you…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

You usually can just power the module (connect supply power, which should be 24V in your case) and then connect the signal cable to a 5V source. The module should fire at 100% then.
I don’t know what the other cables are for in your setup, usually it’s the three-pin connector that holds VCC-GND-S.

He’s rewired this… check out the added link to my previous post… apparently this was burnt in a fire.

I have no idea what is what internally and that’s all the internal cables that are coming out of it.

Where would you put 5V?

Without some kind of road map, I wouldn’t know where to have him start…

Hi @jkwilborn and @misken
thank for responding
Jack is right the laser module had a cardboard fire and it burnt main cables to controller board, so what i was thinking is taking a 2 point approach test the laser module first so see if there is power and the diodes come to life then work through all the sensors and the fans are working so that’s a good think,
so i see that the 3pin connector connect to the main laser module board
have attached more pics, just need to work out which wires up where on the laster pins
![controller top|375x500](upload://l

2Ozla0gKBTk3L1V1lLASozhIfq.jpeg)

You can’t get in a rush posting photos — you need to wait for them to completely upload before moving on adding more text or other photos.

I think you one out of three (two?) here :man_shrugging:

Here is the top of the board :grinning:

So the 8wire cable that from from the above controller connect to this module attach below, so what best way to test power i am sure i need to find a 24v output i assume

Any particular reason you don’t reach for the manufacturer of spare parts?

i have been trying for last 3months with no luck, so this is why i am going this route,

Understand, lets poke Rachel maybe she can help.

@Creality_Rachel

The problem, is you are inside a produced module with nothing to tell you how it works and what it does with it’s own electronics…

The adapter in the last photos looks like the group of signals go to that board and the X stepper, limit switch and laser are broken out separately.

Without any documentation… my only suggestion.

The wires on this pcb are marked on the board itself, they have some signal names such as 5V but most I can’t read. That might give you a clue to what’s ground and what’s a certain voltage.

Good luck

thanks i am determined to work it all out

We will help you all we can.

I’d love you see you resurrect it :crazy_face:

Good luck

thanks appreciatte

So what i have been able to ascertain is that the wires onto the board are as follows

White - vcc5v+
Blue - S tx
Green - S rx
Yellow - GND
Yellow/Green - GND 1 still trying to confirm will bring out stronger magnifying glass
Black - M not sure what this is
Orange - V+
Red - V+ too i think look will confirm through magnifying glass

@Creality_Rachel hope you are able to provide other isn’t if you are able too please

It appears to me as part of it is a serial buss for tx and rx signals.

It could be as simple as a buss for the temperature sensor to communicate with the cpu, or it could be multiple devices on the same buss… doing who knows what.

The only signal that is left is the unknown black wire, but from the real lack of any kind of controlling signal for the laser, I wonder if you’re going down the right path.

Even with a scope, you don’t know how or what they are communicating…

Might just have to put it back together and hope it works.

Was thinking just to test the laser head use my 10w Creality falcon, power cables for source power ground and vcc5+ but unsure

If it’s put back together that should work… if it’s going to work.

I know of no way to test each board or just the laser part of the module.

1. Likely a power supply pin providing 5V to the module.
  • Blue - S TX (Serial Transmit):

1. If this is for serial communication, this would be the transmit line for sending data out.
  • Green - S RX (Serial Receive):

1. This would be the receive line for receiving data.
  • Yellow - GND:

1. Ground connection, likely shared with other GND lines.
  • Yellow/Green - GND 1:

1. Another ground connection, possibly a secondary ground or a specific ground for certain parts of the module.
  • Black - M:

1. The “M” pin could stand for “Modulation” or “Mode” which might control the laser’s operation mode or power level.
  • Orange - V+:

1. A power supply pin, likely 24V as typically used for such laser modules.
  • Red - V+:

1. Another power supply pin, also likely 24V.

Confirmation Steps:

1. Verify Connections with Multimeter:
  • Use a multimeter to check continuity between the ground pins and other pins to confirm their functions.
  • Measure the voltage levels on VCC 5V+, V+, and GND to confirm correct pin assignments.
  1. Refer to Module Documentation:
  • If available, refer to any schematics or manuals for the laser module to verify pin configurations.
  1. Testing:
  • Carefully apply power to the V+ pins and check the response on the S TX and S RX lines to verify serial communication.
  • Check the response of the laser when the M pin is connected to different signals or left floating.

Proceeding with Testing:

1. Power Supply:
  • Connect the Orange and Red wires to a 24V power supply.
  • Connect the White wire to a 5V power supply.
  1. Ground Connections:
  • Connect the Yellow and Yellow/Green wires to the ground of the power supplies.
  1. Signal Testing:
  • Use a logic level signal to test the Blue (S TX) and Green (S RX) for any data transmission.
  1. Black Wire (M):
  • Test the Black wire with a modulation signal (PWM) to see if it controls the laser’s intensity or mode.

Updated Analysis with Magnifying Glass:

• Examine Labels: Use the magnifying glass to examine any labels or text near the connectors to ensure accurate identification.
  • Detailed Inspection: Look closely at the PCB traces and how they connect to each component for a better understanding of the wiring.
1 Like