Kerf not Kerfing

File attached. No Open Shapes. What am I missing. I am trying to cut this box using kerf. shapes are closed Edit: Select open shapes. Nothing. In the past that has meant all shapes are closed. I use kerf all the time and for some reason I am not cutting with the kerf result. Any help would be appreciated.

Marc
Coaster holder2.lbrn2 (14.8 KB)

I will think that your 6 mm material is not 6 mm. The drawing fails nothing.

The thickness of acrylic material is 5.22mm. I am not sure how the thickness of the material affects the kerf.

Your finger joints are 5.59mm and your material is 5.22mm - how can it fit together?
You need to make your drawing to fit the material thickness.

Setting the kerf to (an absurd) 5 mm suggests it’s working:

Whether the original 0.14 mm kerf was enough is a different question, but the layer seems capable of kerfing up a storm … :grin:

Remember: an outward layer kerf embiggens the outer perimeter and shrinks the inner holes, which may not be quite what you expect.

Coaster holder2-retur.lbrn2 (13.9 KB)

… Try this file if it fits better. I haven’t changed your kerf settings as I don’t know anything about your machine.

Thank you I will give it a try. I still don’t understand how the thickness of a material has anything to do with the length and width of a cut. The kerf setting is expanding or contracting corners of the material being cut. The length and width of the material is being changed not the depth or thickness. I am naive this about so please forgive me if I am asking something that doesn’t make sense.

You add a 3rd dimension to your logic. The other option is to make it and see why it matters…

The kerf is applied to the whole object, not corners…

The kerf is an offset and works on the whole object.

How did you figure out the kerf? Is the kerf width if your laser 0.282?

Here is a nice tool by Billie Ruben :heart:

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

It is probably the most expensive :wink:,but the most visually clear way to test/explain it. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.