Laser Burn start up resets settings/certains files open, but nothing shows

Pallet Coasters.lbrn2 (119.0 KB)

Sometimes when i start up Laser Burn, it resets some settings. For example, i love dark mode, after 5 start up, resets setting and i have to activate dark mode again.
When i save files, i start it up the next day, the file is there, but nothing shows. It’s just a new page look. It also shows the file size. So, the work is there, but just not showing up.

Are your files being stored in a folder being synced with cloud storage solutions like Onedrive or Dropbox? Or a network share drive? If so, try disabling sync and see if issues still persist.

I’m sorry, i know the basics of computers. But, how would i find that?

Do you know if you are using software such Onedrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox? Check the tasktray to see if any of these are running on your computer.

Do you have a network share drive on your network in the form of a NAS or file server that you are connecting to?

This is new desktop that is dedicated to my CNCs and Laser Machine. So, no i dont have any software’s and no network sharing. I also checked the tasktray and none is running.

In that case do you have any antivirus software running? Anything that might be actively or directly interfering with file operations?

When you say you lose dark mode after 5 starts… is this repeatable? As in it happens ever 5 restarts?

By the way, the file you attached is filled with basically blank information… 118KB of blank information. So something is actively corrupting your files.

Are you experiencing issues with any other software? I would assume this is a generalized problem.

I wouldn’t rule out a hardware issue as well.

No antivirus is running. It says to turn on. So, it should be off.
It happens about every 5 start ups. As, i don’t use Light Burn everyday. It would be smart to keep track of it.
118kb is a tiny file. I opened up smaller files and it shows whatever i did on that file.
This is only happening with Light Burn. My other CNCs have no problem.

This has been happening for about 3 months. What i have been doing is making 2 files of the same file. Just in case it makes one a blank file. Those are good and never turn blank. Thats when i think everything is good and don’t make a second file. Then, file turns blank.

DEER FACE.lbrn2 (92.8 KB)

Here is 93kb file. And it’s weird because this file has alot more than the 118kb file.

This was working fine on the same computer earlier?

If so, was there something that changed around that time? Did you install any new software? Was there a major Windows update?

Do you have a restore point you can go back to?

There’s something actively going on and it’s not likely from LightBurn itself. So the key is to try to identify and isolate what that is.

I’ve only had the machine for about 4.5 months. I had my other cncs for years. This desktop doesn’t have internet. I only use hot spot to update light burn and my other cncs software. I always stop windows updates. I just have a strong feeling it has something to do with lightburn. Aspire has never had a problem. Easel is online, so that shouldn’t affect anything. A restore point? Like, a back up? I don’t think so.
I think for now, i just have to make 2 files for each file. That’s been working.

At some point this may also fail but will improve your chances of a good file being retained. If this is like other similar situations the issue will come up when another application is trying to read/write to the file while LightBurn has it open.

I’ve never seen a report on this forum where LightBurn has demonstrated this behavior without an accompanying conflict from another application. Not saying it’s not possible but just seems unlikely.

Something has gotten corrupt somewhere or is actively corrupting the files.

Is this a Dell computer? Apparently they use software for file preview that uses the same GUI library as LightBurn that can cause some write conflicts.

Here is what the computer says. This computer came from CNC Factory.
I haven’t really looked into this problem. Just worked around it. I will uninstall and reinstall the program.
Also, have do i create a back up for all of lightburn? Maybe i could restore everything when settings and files are corrupt?

Normally prefs are not deleted during uninstall but you may want to take a special backup with the issues you’ve been having.

File->Export Prefs

Did the computer come with some CNC equipment or does CNC Factory specifically sell computers?

The computer is “hardwired” to the actual CNC machine. A 5x10 Sidewinder XPR machine. They don’t sell computers individually.
Would saving lightburn files to an external hard drive help? I have 2 extra 2TB external harddrives laying around.

Got you. Perhaps check to see if there’s any backups that are scheduled. Maybe see if CNC Factory can give you any idea of what might be causing the issue. Or if they can give you a list of the software that they add-on.

As an offline backup possibly but if it’s an issue with competing writes then I would expect not as long as the drive was online.

It bothers me more that it’s not just affecting your data files but also your preferences. To me that’s indicating a broader issue.

I will contact them to see if they have anything interfering with other files. I will ask for the list of softwares.
When you mentioned one drive, would it be better to save online?
This computer only gets internet for updating lightburn and aspire. If i need pictures or fonts, i get them at home and put them in a USB. I’ve also had inkscape, and other laser friendly softwares and that never happened. That’s why i think it might be lightburn. You’re right about not hearing anything about this. I’ve searched hours and couldn’t find anything similiar.

I mentioned it because those types of applications often interfere with LightBurn saves. There are plenty of people that have no problem as well so not sure what the exact conditions are.

If it’s LightBurn only then it’s really likely there’s another application using qt toolkit that’s at play. I’m not sure about Aspire but Inkscape doesn’t use qt.

There are plenty of cases where these file corruptions do occur with cloud sync solutions or on network share drives. I just haven’t seen it with LightBurn in isolation.

I’m just going to dig deeper and try doing the one drive, changing saving locations.
Thank you for the help!