Laser freezing when air assist is on

Greetings,

I am encountering a shutdown condition whenever a cutting job is started using air assist in LightBurn.
My Sculpfun S30 pro was newly set up yesterday along with limit switches and air assist. The first few jobs ran fine with AA but now the job freezes and shuts the device off for 2 seconds.
Any jobs run fine without air assist.

I have tried a few things, to no avail:
Switched to a different USB cable
Relocated the air compressor further away
Re-seated the wiring harness to the motherboard, which compressor is powered through
Reloaded the CH34x driver

I have been unable to find any helpful items, although recently somebody was having similar issues with an Ortur:

Console output during the shutdown is:
Waiting for connection…
Waiting for connection…
ok
[VER:1.1h.20220925:]
[OPT:V,15,128]
Target buffer size found
ok
Project loaded in 6 milliseconds
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>
ok
Starting stream
Stream completed in 0:00
<Idle|MPos:23.525,20.725,0.000|FS:0,0|Ov:100,100,100>
ok
Starting stream
Starting stream
Layer C00
Connection lost
Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]
ok
[VER:1.1h.20220925:]
[OPT:V,15,128]
Target buffer size found
ok

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first attempts with this device.
Thanks & have a great day,
-Z

I had the same (similar) problem a few years ago with a diode laser, after many attempts with different usb cables it turned out that it was the power supply itself that didn’t like the current spike that came when the compressor started. I replaced the external power supply with a larger one and my problem was solved.

I agree to Bernd, that would be the next thing to test because you already did all other recommended things already.
Actually, I had a similar problem with my S30 in the beginning, but a new USB cable did it (I don’t know why, I have no good explanation for this).

Melvin and Bernd,
Thank you for the replies & help so far.
I have not been able to get the air assist powered at all this week, despite
=>Modulating laser power to a low level
=>Changing the power supply to different outlets
=>Attempting via M08 and M07 commands followed by M09 commands in the G-code console.

Is there a way to just manually power on the pump in the software?
this air pump is powered from the engraver motherboard.

Ever since I toggled on the Hard Limits and Homing cycle within Machine settings, The device doesn’t shut down if air assist is on, like how it used to last week.

I’m at a loss, after having emailing the manufacturer support they simply referred me to the installation video, which isn’t much help. I’m thinking there’s a language barrier too seeing Sculpfun is a chinese company.
Any further help is appreciated.
-Zach

I don’t know if your machine type is supported in the same way in LightBurn as my co2 laser.

It is sad that you are still struggling with this problem.
Under all circumstances, I will always choose an external power supply for the compressor, I have done it this way with my diode laser and also with my K40.(…but not with my co2 laser)
I understand you haven’t found another power supply for your controller yet, that will be (has been) #2 on (my) work/test list.

Hopefully will get the machine working properly, with compressed air, before Christmas, that will be fine.

I understand correctly, that those things did not help?

The way to manually power on the pump is to send M8 in the console. There is no other way. If you want to have the pump powered on all the time you can connect it to another 24V power supply.

So if you turn on limits and homing, then it does work as expected?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.