Laser head moving in 1 line while using rotary

Hello, First timer here using a laser machine and a rotary. I have purchased the Ortur Laser Master 3 LE along with the Rotary YRR 3.0 to engrave some tumblers, but I’m having some issues along the way. I finally got the rotary to sync up to my engraving machine, but now when I’m trying to do a test and engrave a small hexagon shape, the laser head looks to only move in 1 singular line back and forth (on the X axis). The rotary is synced up to the “Y” port axis. Attached is a picture of the bottle (wrapped in tape for testing purposes) with the singular line shown on the tape. What settings do I need to change to have it engrave a hexagon shape with the x and y axis working in tandem?

Not to sound like a troublemaker, but I recommend you start over completely, including the wiring connections, and go thru the rotary setup for your machine. Start with rotating the rotary 90deg so it burns along the length of the Xaxis. You want the X to be your main sweep with the rotary (Yaxis) making small movements.

To help confirn the wiring is correct, follow the setup instructions in this LB article.

When you click test in the rotary gui, does the drive wheel or chuck rotate one complete turn and back?

:smile_cat:

I double checked everything in the article and looks to be correct with my setup… but good to know to rotate my rotary 90 deg, so the X will be my main sweep. I did this and now the laser is engraving the max outline of the width and height of the hexagon, so slowly making progress :slight_smile:

looks like it is doing a quarter turn before pausing and going back… below is screenshot of the rotary gui - the “mm per rotation” and “roller diameter” I received these #s from Ortur tech team to use. and the “object diameter” i measured the bottle I’m looking to engrave

Also I noticed that the X / Y axis location is at -600 / -480 respectively, which I don’t know if this is affecting anything but I believe this should be at 0/0, which I’m not sure how to reset that…

again I’m very new to all of this and trying to research and learn whatever I can online

Okay, did it?

The software should, using the test button, move the drive roller one complete turn and back.

If it’s not doing this with your rotary, there is a problem with steps/rotation (mm/rotation) or your ratio of the motor to the drive wheel…

If you got the values from your vendor, I’d check with them.

It won’t function properly if this doesn’t work.

The only other option is to watch the motor shaft or pulley and use the gui to figure mm/rotation of the motor… then you can apply the gear ration to it to get the proper values…

Good luck

Thank you for the help and assistance! I was able to make some adjustments and get it to work :slight_smile:

Great it’s fixed…

It would help others and us if you could elaborate on your solution… they might be facing the same issue.

If one of the posts advised you, you can click it as the solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.