Laser Master 2 precision, is it good for my needs?

Hello,

I am in the market for a laser engraver for my project and I was hoping to get some information about the laser master 2 and which version of it that would be suitable for my needs.

I am going to engrave small symbols, about 15mm in diameter on plastic. The plastic has a very thin layer of paint on it. I have no idea how thick as it is way too thin to measure.

The machine I am looking for needs to be able to engrave extremely detailed, some lines in my graphics are as thin as 0,05-0,1mm and I would like a clean line.

Is the Laser Master 2 precise enough and capable of what I am asking of it provided I set it up properly?

Would be very thankful for any help given.

Ps. If someone could possibly be able to test engrave one of my graphics I would gladly pay for it! Let me know :slight_smile:
Best regards, Christoffer

Precision is factored on two things - laser beam width and CNC machine minimum movement.

In both respects any of the small diode machines can meet a 0.1mm precision.

As to whether the machine is capable ‘enough’ - if it is working to spec, yes.

0.1mm is fairly easy with the diode. 0.05mm is pushing the limits with focus for a diode. It will depend on the direction, as a Diode does not output a round beam of light. I have the original 15W version if you want me to test an image for you.

What would you need testing Christoffer?
support@ortur3dprinter.com or https://ortur.tech/support

Thanks

Hi! Thanks for your response! If you have the time to test this image that would be amazing!!

The measurements of the image as a whole should be 12,0 x 6,993mm.

Thanks alot and have a great weekend!

blower

@OrturTech @Makingsmoke

Relevant informations are missing though
MAterials please?

Gil, from the original post it would appear to be a very thin piece of plastic with a thin coating of paint.
Not sure that would work with a diode,…never tried though

Basically just 1 thin layer of spray paint on plastic. The idea is to only burn away the paint and leave the plastic behind as good as possible :slight_smile:

Edit, i googled and spray paint is approximately 2,5-7,5 mils (0,06-0,2mm) so its very thin

You didn’t specify what kind of paint, so I chose Red as it interacts with the blue light beautifully. Done on 1/8" Bayer Makerlon. Top burn 1900mm/min at 15% power. Bottom burn 1900mm/min at 13% power. Both 0.07mm line interval

Calipers set to 12mm for scale.

Wow @Makingsmoke thank you so much!

You really went above and beyond, really appreciate that!! Also I must say I am very impressed by this machine, the work it does for its price is unreal. They should charge more for it :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately since I need to burn so small details I think I will have to keep looking, unless there is a way to focus the laser with a lens or something? I am sure the lines could be made even smoother with enough trial and error in the settings and also depending on the paint, but correct me if I am wrong, the lines on the arrow probably can’t be made any thinner?

Once again thank you and have a great weekend

There were 4 burn lines on the horizontal part of the arrow, .07mm apart for a commanded burn of (.28mm + Kerf). If you want a very fine line it could be done, but you would need to actually post a .lbrn file of what you want to attempt. By just posting a picture I had to trace it and didn’t have any indication of what dimentions the lines were intended to be.

blowerlbrn.lbrn (23.6 KB)
blowerlbrn2.lbrn2 (23.6 KB)

I dragged the symbol into lightburn and set the size there, would that give the lines the correct dimension?

That is what I had done the first time around. You have never indicated what dimension are you trying to hit for the arrow line thickness, I assume by saying

you are trying to see the minimum kerf of the laser. I have edited your file to make the arrow lines as thin as the laser will burn, but am waiting for paint to dry.

In the mean time if there is a specific dimensions you want to hit for line thickness, how about letting us know so we don’t have to guess at what you are trying to achieve.

I have included the .lbrn file I used to cut it so you get an idea of how I set this cut up.blowerlbrn.lbrn (80.3 KB)

In my lightburn the height of the image was relative to the length, so when I put 12mm width the height became 6,9 or so tall. The size of the arrow lines stayed the same compared to the rest of the picture so I had no idea this was a measurement you would need.

This looks really good and promising, thank you very much for your help

You have got to remember every laser has a kerf you have to account for. It usually is such a small percentage compared to the project that it does not really matter. But when the project is only 7mm tall, then .5mm (or whatever the kerf is) becomes a significant percentage. It also comes into play when making precision or friction fit parts.

If you are looking for a smaller kerf in a diode laser I’ve heard the lower wattage ones have a tighter focus, but I’ve never tested it. Also you can get shorter focus lense. It does not take much power to burn such a thin paint layer on plastic.

unlock the aspect ratio.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.50.27 AM