Laser stuck on 100%

Thanks Doug, I had followed a video to test mine. I was looking for that video again but I cant find it. Appreciate the response.

Just joined to throw this out there- got mine mid July 2021, and had the same issue. I had about 30 minutes worth of runtime on it, and it went into 100% runaway. I updated the firmware, reset the defaults and eventually found half a dozen postings similar to this one. One guy mentioned that even his replacement board died in similar fashion. I sent mine back today, because I didnā€™t want to risk missing my return window while waiting for a replacement board. The more I think of it though, the machine is failing in the on mode. Maybe this is because the PWM wire is getting a constant high voltage, due to a component failure, but I canā€™t think of any way I could trust a design like that not to cause a fire. To clarify-it absolutely did in the middle of a print that was set to 16% power.

The issue is most likely being caused due static build up and discharging into the mainboard. Itā€™s a known issue with thus model. Ortur has detailed instructions to properly ground the system to earth. Mine got pooches the same way. Once I received replacement board, I did the grounding and now no more problems.

Iā€™ve been thinking of investing in a ORTUR Laser Master 2 (LU2-4) to replace my 3018 Pro. Do think that these defective motherboards are still in the pipeline getting shipped out? Your post is about two weeks old, when did you get yours if I may ask?

Well, first the LU2-4 is the laser module for the Laser Master 2 Pro, not the Laser Master 2. They are not compatible with each other. The LM2 is a 12v system and the LM2Pro is 24v. They donā€™t use the same version motherboard, an the issue does not seem to be present on the new version boards

Sorry, I guess that was kind of a noob question as I am not familiar with Ortur lasers. Iā€™m looking at buying either the LM2 (not sure if itā€™s worth $550 for the LM2 PRO, for me anyway) or the Atomstack A5 Pro to replace my 3018. I was looking for input from folks that had them.

BB

I would definitely recommend the LM2 Pro. I have both. I can tell you, the new laser module alone is worth the upgrade, it is awesome. With a focal spot 4x smaller, the energy density is much higher. Meaning faster engraves at lower power and cleaner cuts with less passes. I can cut 1/4" pine with only 2 passes.

1 Like

I think you may have talked me into it. :thinking:

Keep in mind my cuts are are all done with air assist, I remember that when I first started with lasers, cutting most things without air was a messy, sooty nightmare :laughing:. I never use air when engraving anything except soft woods (birch, pine, etc) hardwoods seem to actually benefit from the soot build up in the engrave, help keep it dark. Like anything, its all a learning curve, but thatā€™s the fun part.

1 Like