LB bridge connection issues

@nan sorry about the account throttling. I’ve fixed it for you and you should no longer be limited.

Regarding ethernet - I’m a little confused why you were showing the disconnected ethernet device on your Mac computer. Just to be absolutely sure, can you confirm that the Bridge Pi is connected directly to your laser via ethernet?

Can you tell me what the IP address of your computer is on your local network? In that network settings window you provided a screenshot of, just click on the Wi-Fi entry and there should be an IP shown. I’m concerned that the IP you found for your Bridge Pi (192.168.68.121) is incorrect somehow and just want to make sure that the Pi and your computer are on the same subnet.

merrychristmas

That is the IP info for your router. Not your computer. Though, I believe it answers my question about your subnet.
Can you also confirm my other question: Just to be absolutely sure, can you confirm that the Bridge Pi is connected directly to your laser via ethernet?

yes, it is directly connected

@nan that is your computer’s IP address, which is helpful, but not what I’m getting at.
What I’m asking is this: Is there an ethernet cable that goes directly from the ethernet port on the raspberry Pi to the ethernet port on your laser controller? With nothing in between. That is the only way that the Bridge will work.

IE, like this, directly from the documentation:

YES, i answered that above. You asked for my computer’s IP address, hence the screenshot.

This may sound completely obvious, but you said at the top that you have a Pi4 with LightBurn installed. I assume that you mean you have flashed the image for the LightBurn bridge to it, correct? (LightBurn doesn’t run on a Pi4, so I wanted to be sure this was just a typo)

Do you have a monitor connected to the Pi? If you do (or you can) you should see a status console. Can you show a pic of that?

From a security perspective you probably want to edit out your public IP from the image or just delete it. Or maybe one of the mods can do it.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant and did.

I do have a monitor connected, the only thing showing on the desktop is the wastebasket. Where do I find the status console?

Thank you!

1 Like

If you are seeing the Raspberry Pi OS desktop (something that looks like below) you do not have the LightBurn Bridge software installed on your Pi. Our software comes as an image to be flashed to an SD card that does not have a desktop. Upon connecting a monitor you would have simply a text-based console view.

Did you purchase the Bridge kit from us directly or are you using your own Pi?
If the latter, please follow the instructions here to install Bridge: Advanced Usage - LightBurn Software Documentation

The very first link posted in this thread (by @jkwilborn) was this one: Intro and Setup - LightBurn Software Documentation

If you read that a little bit, it includes this: “if you purchased a kit with everything included, continue below. But if you want to setup your own with a Raspberry Pi you already have, follow the SD card flashing instructions first.

You have to follow the SD card flashing instructions, using the image file link provided there, and then insert that SD card into the PI, or what you have is just a normal Raspberry Pi, not a LightBurn Bridge.

I bought the pi from Best Buy and followed the steps on the Advanced Usage - Lightburn Software Documentation page. However, I do have the desktop shown above. UGH!!

I did do this so I don’t understand what happened. I can go back and do it again, right?

You can, yes. That’s effectively a “factory reset” of the Bridge device, and not harmful. Make sure the SD card is flashed with the image you download from us via Google Drive link, not one of the default Pi images, then put that SD card in the Pi. When you boot it, you should see a text status display that says it’s a LightBurn bridge.

I may actually cry! I followed the instructions, but I was following the video, not the written instructions. I now have connection to my laser!!! :partying_face:

I am so sorry I have taken so much of y’all’s time. I’m really not stupid, but dang I sure feel like it right now. :roll_eyes: :disappointed:

1 Like

I AM CONNECTED!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

3 Likes

It doesn’t help that there’s no blinkies or anything like that. It’s good that you had a monitor you could connect up (and I thought you might because you mentioned the KB and mouse). As soon as we could tell there was a desktop and not the bridge console it was easy to pinpoint the issue.

And don’t feel too bad - Adam and I had a bunch of similar “d’oh!” moments while working on the thing, so if it can happen to us, no one else is going to be immune. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like I’m having the same problem but I do not have a monitor to tell for sure. I bought a raspberry pi online (because you were sold out and I did not know how long it would be). however I am not using the sd card that came with it. I purchased a 32 GB SD card and I followed your advanced instructions to flash the Bridge software to the Pi. I am able to find it and connect through my computer’s wifi but when it gets to the "scanning. Network Scan Complete, it just says “checking network devices” and never shows me the Bridge.

I appreciate y’all’s help. My computer updated today and now it’s saying the Thunderbolt Bridge is not connected. Please tell me it’s an easy fix. :grin: