Licensing questions

Hello. I am looking to possibly purchase lightburn, but i have a few questions about licensing. Situation: I have 2 computers. One in my house, one in my shop. The one in the house has internet connection, but the one in my shop does not. I am currently using a small 3018 pro with grbl 1.1 controller, but I am going to be purchasing a lager, ruida or dsp based laser in about 3 weeks. So here are my questions:

1. If i buy the dsp license, will it still work with the grbl system I am using?

2. I have seen elsewhere in the forum that windows updates will sometimes cause enough of a change to inactivate the license key. Does that mean that lightburn will have to connect to the internet periodically to “verify” my license, or does it do that automatically every time LB is launched after a reboot? If that is the case, how do I keep LB functioning on the computer that is in my shop and has no internet capabilities?

3. This isn’t a licensing question, but it fits in here. Since I will be using a grbl laser and a ruida or dsp laser, can I run two instances of LB to control both lasers at once, and also will LB save 2 different laser profiles - one for each machine?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to being a LB customer for a long time. I really appreciate having quality software options that are NOT internet reliant and Don’t have monthly subscription requirements! Add affordability to that list, and you have a product that I can really get behind!

1 Like
  1. The DSP version includes all drivers for GCode devices, so it will run both. (https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/which-version-do-i-need)

2. If the machine isn’t networked, Windows Update won’t exactly be an issue. :slight_smile: We have a method for offline activation. (Offline Activation Procedure)

3. A standard license allows installation and use on two computers at the same time, and we’ll bump to 3 for free by request. There is no limit on the number of lasers each computer can be configured for. (https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/how-the-lightburn-license-works)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I am still curious though, the computer that is offline shouldn’t have any issues, but what about the one that is online? Is it common to have to go through resetting the license after windows updates? And is it a hassle to do so? My online computer gets connection rates similar to old dial up connections (gotta love country living), so if LB automatically connects after a reboot and rejects the license, i’m probably looking at several hours to go through the reset procedure using the license portal. I only ask because I have bought many programs that stop functioning every 30 days until you let them reconnect to their servers and renew the license.

LightBurn will only force you to connect / check if something significant changes on your system. It will try to connect once a day, but there’s no error if it can’t, and the amount of data sent back and forth is pretty low, so I wouldn’t expect the connection speed to be an issue. If you have to go through the website to do it, that’s a little more hassle, but still shouldn’t be horrible. If your bandwidth is low, you’re not likely to have updates that often that would change things.

Awesome! Thank you again for the information!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.