Light Burn Bridge Substitute

Hello everyone. I need to set up an engraver remotely from my Win10 pc. Since the Light Burn Bridge is not available for an indefinite amount of time, I will appreciate any suggestions for a substitute and advice on installation and configuration. Thanks!

Are you planning to do this with the laser in your profile (Atomstack X20 Pro)?

If so, be aware that the LightBurn Bridge will not work on that machine. The Bridge only works with Ruida controllers.

Can you describe what your needs are? What do you anticipate doing and how will you be working?

I will be installing the X20 in my shop. However, my computer is in my office in another building. I do not want to move my computer or buy a portable computer just to connect to the engraver. Therefore, I need a device that I can connect to the X20 that will allow my desktop running Light Burn in my office to direct the X20 in my shop via wifi.

This is going to be tricky to not have a local computer attached. Some options.

1. I believe the X20 has an off-line mode where you can run gcode from USB flash drive. You could save the gcode from your office LightBurn install, save to USB, and run from X20
  2. It looks like X20 has a wifi interface. If the wifi interface is available in GRBL mode you might be able to connect LightBurn through wifi to your laser. I do now know Atomstack’s implementation and haven’t heard of anyone using wifi on GRBL lasers to successfully do this but the ability to interface through IP was introduced recently. However, it would be deeply impractical, and potentially unsafe, to try to remotely control your laser as you’d need to be going back and forth quite a bit. You could potentially try to remotely control your computer from your phone/tablet while your computer is remotely controlling your laser. See here for some background on this:
    How dou You connect Lightburn to DI via wifi? - #3 by berainlb
  3. I believe Atomstack have a mobile APP that connects through wifi to the laser. I don’t know if there’s a feature to run gcode but if so, you could potentially save to gcode from your computer and run from your phone.

For your case I suspect option 1 or getting a cheap dedicated computer would be your best bet.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to implementing #1 after I receive the laser.

Sounds good. Be advised that if you’re just starting out with lasers that there is a lot of active experimentation required to dial-in the right settings to achieve your desired outcome. This may be difficult or cumbersome with this approach since you may need to be going through cycles of testing. Once you have a good sense of needed settings for a given material then this shouldn’t be so bad but will make potentially needed correction passes difficult.

Using material test patterns is always a good practice but I suspect this will be especially true in your case.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.