Lightburn files not loading

Hi All

I really need some help.
When I open my lightburn files its empty but in the preview on the right side it shows that there is something in. This is not all file but random files. I will attached the ones I noticed now that is empty

Regards
Loraine
Coffee Sign.lbrn (163.7 KB)
warthog.lbrn (299.7 KB)

There are no layers in your files, just as if they were saved without content. Preview do not work either because nothing is or can be marked.

Hi Bernd

Thank you for your reply. I didnt save those files without content and its not just those files theres others as well. I will send you pics of another file with its preview…its empty as well

Valentine board.lbrn (2.1 MB)

If you take regular backups you might have a good copy saved there. If not and if you’ve saved the file(s) more than once there’s a possibility that your system has saved backups of those previous versions. They might not have the most up to date data but it might be better than nothing.

It looks like you’re on Windows so:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to where your LB files are.

2. Right-click one of the problematic files and select ‘Properties’

3. In the Properties dialogue select the ‘Previous Versions’ tab.

4. If you’ve got any previous versions then you’ll see them listed like below

5. Select the most recent and click the ‘Restore’ or ‘Restore To…’ button.

Hopefully this might get at least some of your data back.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Marcus. What does it mean if I dont have previous versions on that file or any other file for that matter

Regards
Loraine

That probably means that automatic file backups hasn’t been set up on your system or you’re saving to a cloud drive. Where do you save these files, is it on a local hard drive or on the cloud?

The file headers show they were created with LightBurn 0.9.20, which explains why they are in *.lbrn format.

All the files have the usual header, but their Thumbnail Source field becomes random junk, rather than properly encoded binary data, which destroys the rest of the contents.

Can you update to version 1.3.01?

If not, it will be worthwhile to reinstall 0.9.20 using a known-good installer from the official source to ensure the program is not damaged.

Coffee Sign_RRU.lbrn (168.2 KB)

This appears to be all except 2 shapes. The warthog file was too hard to edit.

Prompted by @RalphU 's post above I’ve just taken a look at the contents of the Coffee Sign file as well. It looks pretty well corrupted so it’s looking very much like you could be saving to a cloud drive as corruption seems to be a very common problem in this scenario. If this is the case then there might be an opportunity to recover an earlier version from whichever cloud service you’re using.

Morning Marcus

I haven’t setup any saving “method” for my lightburn files. Maybe a good idea to do that before I lose any other file
Do I do that in Lightburn itself

Hi Ralph

Thank you. I appears that you have a newer version of lightburn that I have (1.3.01)

I updated to version 1.3.01 yesterday

Ok so it looks like the files that is empty isnt saveable
What do you recommend I do to prevent this from happening to other files in the future
Sorry Im very new to this techinical part of Lightburn

Morning Loraine,
You haven’t said where you’re saving your file currently but I’d recommend you save your files to your local hard drive rather than any cloud drive such as Goggle Drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc. For some reason LightBurn has issues saving to cloud drives and you end up with corrupt files just like yours. Then I would set up ‘Windows File History’. Here’s a link to some instructions that will guide you in setting this up. You’ll need an external hard drive, flash drive or network drive to be able to do this.

Where are you saving your files now? If it is to a cloud drive there might be a chance that there is a file history managed by whichever service you’re using and we might be able to retrieve an earlier version.

Hi Marcus

To my knowledge Im saving all files on my local hard drive. I havent set anything up do save it on a cloud drive. Is there a way I can check if its saving it on a cloud without me knowing it. Thank you I will check out the link

I think you’d be aware that you’re saving to a cloud drive. I only mention it as this type of corruption is common when saving files from LB to such a drive and (AFAIK) unheard of when saving locally. If you could post a screenshot of your ‘Save As’ dialogue that would help determine where you’re saving to.

1 Like

Hi

Attached a screenshot of my SAVE AS dialogue

That’s great, thanks. I can confirm that you’re not saving to the cloud. In which case I’m not sure why you’ve experienced this file corruption. It’s definitely worth turning on the Windows File History in case you need it in the future.

By the way, I notice you’ve photographed the screen. It’s much easier to take a screenshot directly from your PC. You might have a key labelled ‘PrntScrn’ or similar on your keyboard. If you press this (you might have to hold down another key at the same time depending on your system) and this should invoke the Windows Snipping tool (or whatever the version on your system is called). You should then be able to choose between grabbing the whole screen, a single window, a rectangular area or a freeform area. There are various ways to invoke the tool but it depends on your system. Here’s a link to some Microsoft instructions. Otherwise just use your favourite search engine to find alternative methods. You get a much better result than photographing and it’s much easier too.

I don’t think you can definitely say that just from the screen shot. I see oneDrive is installed. One of the default actions is to backup the Documents folder. It’s a bit of a mystery to me why using cloud storage would corrupt LB files but I’m seeing plenty of posts that claim this to be true. At any rate, we don’t know for sure if @Loraine is saving her files locally or not.

Apologies, I was in a rush! Ok, I must admit that was making some assumptions. I assume that @Loraine is showing me where she’s been saving her files (however, why there are no files in that folder then I don’t know), Perhaps I would have been better off asking to show the folder where the problematic files are located. OneDrive is installed (and appears in the device/folder tree) by default but requires connecting to a Microsoft account before you can actually use it.

@Loraine : To confirm can you please attach a screenshot showing where your problematic files are located?