Lightburn, laser compatibility with a Shapeoko Pro XXL

Hi all I have just upgraded my CNC Shapeoko pro XXL router machine to use a JTec 7 watt laser for engraving. I have purchased light burn for the the laser software and have followed the instructions for setting up the macro to choose the laser parameters from a negative to a positive coordination for the work origin before the homing sequence is activated, this work OK during homing and moving to the work origin. when i then moved around, using the jog buttons on the X and Y arrows this work as it should with out any problems, if i used different setting for speed and distance, the problem occurred when I move up and down on the Z axes. This would start to move,but continued moving even if the setting were changed for a small motor stepping sequence to set the height for the laser to 1/8 of an inch, The other thing i had notice it lost it’s 0 orig and would hit the homing switch without activating it causing the stepper motor to start to grind on the drive belt. Is there something i am missing in the setting that need to change, even when all Z tabs have been De-activated, this still happens (I still have Z movement). Is there anyone who has had the same problem and could you tell me the solution to rectify this issue.
Many thanks Shaun

When in CNC mode does your Shapeoko home X, Y, Z?
Did you chaged GRBL settings to enable laser mode?

• $10=0
  • $30=1000
  • $31=0
  • $32=1

Before changing do a copy of your GRBL settings.
GRBL Configuration - LightBurn Documentation.
Also check this Doc and this and THIS

After remember to revert all changes back to enable CNC mode.

1 Like

Hi parsec, yes I did change these settings and have the micro set up for the laser and to use the CNC so it can change between both if needed. I will only use light burn for the laser operations, as I have Vectric pro for the CNC which i run the Gcode through Carbide motion as i can reset the machine settings on the start up cycle. the problem I was having was that after the homing sequence was completed and I move the x-y to the job origin (which it did OK), when i moved the Z origin via the move button, it traveled down with out stopping, I wanted to jog down in increments to set the height of my laser as i did not want it to crash into the surface of the job. Any idea’s on this issue

The Z switches work in Vcarve? It would be a good idea to check that the Z switches work.
Put a piece of styrofoam about the size of the laser in the holder, so as not to damage anything.
Try zeroing X Y Z with the Vcarve? or CM first and then switch to laser mode and see if you can run a job.

https://carbide3d.com/blog/unexpected-z-axis-plunges/