Lightburn power and speed chart

Dear community,

Can someone make a speed and power chart for lasers 5w to 30w lasers. And make it a pdf so you can print it.

Cheers,
Brock Wilson
River Cut Laser Cutting & Engraving

1 Like

So you have all of these?

You can do what you are asking someone else to do… Search the internet for this information. Lightburn forum, YouTube, manufacturer’s sites, and social blog sites. When you finish, you will have a chart that covers maybe 1% of the possible combinations of laser heads and project materials.

There is no such chart because it is not practical. The best you can hope for is getting numbers that are somewhat close to your specific application. What you see in print are just guidelines to get you started. The best tool is not a chart, but the Lightburn Material Test tool. You can resize or adjust it to fit your needs.

3 Likes

I agree, takes a little time but seem to be the best way. :+1:

2 Likes

Do you know were i can get practice material in a bundle?

I’m not sure where you’d find practice material, but here is a power and speed reference form Ortur. https://ortur.net/pages/materials-reference
Hope that helps.

Not sure of the intent here. If you’re just seeking “disposable” material for learning, cardboard or cheap plywood are good. If you’re looking to develop tested settings for finished work pieces, that’s best accomplished using the exact same materials as used in the finished item. If that happens to be a $50 Yeti tumbler or exotic wood, so be it…although I’d suggest working up to that. A similar material will give you a good idea, but may still not be good enough.

I mean a lot of different laser materials for practicing.

Lill’ bit.

Something along this line?

Csyidio 175 PCS Engraving Material Box, DIY Materials Apply to All Laser Engravers with Instructions, Laser Engraving Supplies Including Acrylic, Metal, Wood, Fabric, Rubber Materials https://a.co/d/22kvfvB

Adding to what cggorman said, and to illustrate, we have to take into account these nuances, as in some wooden coins I’ve been making:

Same focal length, same settings, same bare piece of wood different results.

Perhaps an assortment of these:

Definitely write up your results to give the next person the benefit of your experience!

1 Like

Looks good

Do you know of something that focuses on different material?

Looks weird

Right, differences in this case in the same material.

Parsec, in my opinion, it does seem like your cuts / burns were setup to cut the outside first, resulting in all coins to be lowered to their base, meaning that the coin on the left is higher then the coin on the right, which would explain the variation between them. Check that lightburn is set to cut inside first, then outside.

Not only that, but aged laser head will perform differently. Are you using Air Assist? This will be a big chart!!

I’m probably even newer than you. I don’t like the idea of running MY laser at 100% so I opt for 85% and control the burn by varying the time. Deeper burns run slower.

What a mess

First engrave and then cut.
It’s really variation in the wood. It’s happened to a few others, I’m not going to investigate it, just put another piece in and move on.
The wood is 2mm away from the honeycomb, and after cutting the pieces usually drop with the help of the air-assist.