Lightburn runs on $40 computer

In another forum I’ve run across people wanting to run Lightburn on Raspberry Pi’s and other small computers and usually the answer is 'yes it runs on Linux but not with Linux on ARM CPU’s.

Well, I had an Atomic Pi I’d purchased to try running Tensorflow on and learned Tensorflow has been optimized for ARM as opposed to x86. So I just tried running Lightburn on it and it worked surprisingly well. My Atomic Pi came with Ubuntu 18.04 already installed on the onboard EMMC storage drive so I just tried it. The only thing I needed to do was to set the dialout permissions for the default atomicpi user so that the USB device( /dev/ttyACM0 ) was accessible by Lightburn.

https://www.amazon.com/DLI-APi-Atomic-Developers-Kit/dp/B08CGFM2B1/ref=sr_1_2

I don’t think it came with antenna’s for the Wifi or Bluetooth but it does have an ethernet interface.
It’s just $10 for a couple of antenna’s…

And if you don’t have a 5V 3A power supply then that’s another $10

3 Likes

What’s the speed like? (I’ll find out for myself soon enough as I’ve just ordered one of these to try it)

@LightBurn it’s more responsive than I was expecting once I switched to the onboard EMMC version of Ubuntu. Is there an example file or something in particular in Lightburn I can try to ‘stress’ it some?

Download a high-contrast image of tree bark or something like that and trace it. :slight_smile:

This was near instantly edge detected and converted.
treebark-face

@LightBurn, It only has one USB 3 (type A) port so if your keyboard doesn’t have a USB hub built-in then you’ll want to add a USB hub to your list of things needed for testing/use. I purchased mine maybe a year ago and it came with Lubuntu 18.04 already on the builtin storage(16GB of EMMC) so hopefully that’s still the case. If not then they do provide those images for download.

I’ve not checked the camera operation in a while and when I purchased it didn’t come with a camera like the current kit does. I ran/tested against my Ortur LM1 since it sits right on the desktop next to me.
If you have any question or run into Linux system type issues feel free to ping me.

Not doubting your achievement. I think its great that you have gotten it working - I went looking to see what th Atomic Pi was - but I had to laugh at this review :slight_smile:

Could the Atomic Pi be the single board computer that finally brings the folks from Cambridge to their knees? Is this the computer that will revolutionize STEM education, get on a postage stamp, and sell tens of millions of units? No. The answer is no. While I’m not allowed to call the Atomic Pi “literal garbage” because our editors insist on the technicality that it’s “surplus” because they were purchased before they hit the trash cans, there will be no community built around this thirty five dollar single board computer. This is a piece of electronic flotsam that will go down in history right next to the Ouya console. There will be no new Atomic Pis made, and I highly doubt there will ever be any software updates. Come throw your money away on silicon, fiberglass and metal detritus!

Now I definitely want one!

Allow me to paraphrase a known quote:
“I don’t care what the editors say about Atomic Pi as long as they spell it’s name right.” I Await for what Oz will have to say about this “piece of electronic flotsam” cause I am after a dedicated lightburn streamer near my cutter.

1 Like

They are surplus computers that were decommissioned from a robotic system that never came to fruition. The CPU is a quad-core atom processor. It just depends on what you expect out of the system.

2 Likes

I don’t mind reading negative reviews but they are meaningless when they provide no data to back them up. And since we are not talking about any GPIO bit twiddling here and just loading and running off the shelf software on an x86 architecture, what support would you need which is not part of the decades of support already provides by the Linux community?

It works, is working well for me so get one while you can(or two) or don’t.

If I get around to cleaning up my office a bit I will post a video of this "garbage ".

3 Likes

I’m interested in the new Raspberry Pi 400. I wonder if it could be configured in similar fashion to this Atomic Pi…
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-400/?resellerType=home

Pi400 is based on Pi4.
More here:

1 Like

I think it looks like an interesting bit of kit.

The lack of ethernet is a pita, but the number crunching specs look good.

I’ve got half a hundred different microcontrollers, it would be interesting to try this one.

I’ll try and get his OS going on a Pi4 and see what it runs like.

Not to mention a lot of those geek blog guys get inundated with cool kit all the time. Their piece of dross could be just the $40 sbc that I was looking for.

@Bonjour, the Atomic Pi has Ethernet as I spelled out in my post… It also has Wifi just does not come with the Wifi antennas(2).

You can NOT run LightBurn on any of the Raspberry Pi’s as it is compiled for the x86 processor and NOT for the ARM processors.

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was wifi only. Even more interesting.

I will refrain from the LB Pi rabbit hole, then.

Slightly off the original topic, but I have found the HP Stream11 netbook - Atom-processor based - has been great for LB. And I can get them only slightly used for not much money in Australia, since (IMHO) Windows10 is far too bloaty an OS for them, and punters only discover this when they’ve bought one :frowning: Buy cheap on eBay, install a Linux flavour, typically Xubuntu, and they are fabulous :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed, and any laptop with 2GB or more of RAM would work as long as you can install the light weight Linux desktop OS’s like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I looked and found the HP Stream 11 on ebay for just under US$100. If you don’t have an LCD, keyboard and mouse around they’d have to be purchased and added to the $40 Atomic Pi so the total cost would be in the same $100 range.

2 Likes

I bought one of these last yr from amazon.
it was DOA so i sent it back.
Even my OUYA worked out of the box.

I have a $30 thin client and $10 SSD off ebay running my CNC software pretty good with Linux.

1 Like

I looked at those HP dual-core thin clients. Easy enough with the right model to put an SSD in and they come with a Win 10 license.

We ran whole government departments on them.