LightBurn with Camera on Linux / Formatting computer

It is quite possible. Now it’s called Fedora, it should work for me after a little practice time
I will spend time tomorrow to set up my camera properly, I am looking forward to that.

good night and thank you

But you need to have the same hardware as the OP in order to know the libraries and drivers are the same. It could even be a different USB bus driver…

Don’t disagree. Was more about trying to see if the base scenario would work as to eliminate that as a variable. At this point all signs point to a possible hardware or driver issue.

1 Like

Fwiw this is what I’ve seen from my testing.

Ubuntu 18.04 - will not work after 1.2.01 due to upgraded build libraries at that point.

Ubuntu 20.04 - should work on most hardware as expected. Camera support has worked for me on lightburn cameras with dell and Lenovo laptops. all lasers I’ve tested have worked as expected (smoothie, fiber, Ruida dsp)

Fedora 36 - same as Ubuntu 20.04

Ubuntu 22.04 - ch340 com port driver conflicts need to be corrected by user, camera will cause seg fault crashes. Lasers work as expected once driver conflict is corrected.

Fedora 37 - have only tested camera. Seg fault similar to Ubuntu 22.04.

For best results the dev team currently recommends Ubuntu 20.04. It is the system we currently do release builds on and has the best compatibility we have seen. Right now and for the foreseeable future the dev team is quite stretched and we are doing our best to keep track of the issues listed above.

Thanks for reporting your findings.

3 Likes

Hi Joe,

Thanks for this feedback. It fits very well with what we have observed.
I just took the chance (without background knowledge) and hoped that it could probably be done, with the help of the Linux experts we fortunately have here in the forum and of course at the LightBurn team.

My bad luck was that every time I took the wrong version or even distro, and as I said, me lack of linux knowledge.

I am touched that there are so many kind people here who, even though they have many other balls in the air, have tried to contribute to this thread - to help me and to contribute factually and professionally to this topic.

My summary is: Anyone who wants LightBurn together with a camera solution to work on Linux should stick to the clear recommendation in the LightBurn documentation (Installation of LightBurn on Linux).

I have learned something again and am happy - Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up… I have recently move to 22.04, I usually wait for all the bugs to show up, but instead I just let it upgrade.

I probably won’t do that again… :slight_smile:

Do you have a ch340 driver that does work ? … in other words how is it “corrected by the user”?

Thanks again… :+1: to Lightburn and developers.

:smile_cat:

Another data point, should anybody get too discouraged about running Linux:

Setup:

• Manjaro Linux (rolling release = all new hotness)
  • Dell Optiplexes (business-class, no fancy hardware, Free Software drivers)
  • Ruida via wired Ethernet
  • dual displays
  • not-dirt-cheap generic USB camera

Results:

• no crashiness
  • full camera operation
  • no Check for Updates function, presumably due to the SSL library mismatch

Running LightBurn on Linux is a key selling point, as our Token Windows Laptop lives upstairs and rarely sees the light of day. I’d continue with a Windows-only LightBurn for a while, but I’d definitely begin cobbling up a Free Software toolchain.

The problem is that the braille device driver takes priority in the system over any ch340 device. The easiest way if you don’t use one of those devices is just remove the driver with

sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove brltty

2 Likes

That’s an interesting data point. We have actually avoided manjaro/arch BECAUSE they are rolling releases. I’ll pass that onto the dev team.

I just want to report back that I have tried this distro and although I have never heard anything about it before, it was a pleasure for someone like me with very limited Linux knowledge to install Manjaro.
Quick and easy is probably the most apt thing to say about installation. Manjaro itself comes with a decent and good looking desktop surface which is easy to use.
I downloaded LightBurn, made it executable, and booted up LightBurn just as smoothly as it is on my Mackbook. Then came the test for my LightBurn camera, it starts up quite nicely without any problems whatsoever.
It’s absolutely fantastic after all the unfortunate attempts with Mint, Ubuntu and Fedora.
The only thing missing, as far as I can see, is manual adjustment of Exposure and Brightness. These setting options are not available.

Thanks for this great suggestion!!!

2 Likes

Have you tried qv4l2 ? I was looking for a GUI for v4l2-ctl and found that and I was able to tweak the video live while in LightBurn using the User and Camera Controls tabs.

…unfortunately I don’t even know what it is.
But I will do my homework and read more on the subject.

I was looking for something to change the camera resolution on the fly and while this didn’t do that it does let me change lots of features of the camera device.

I installed with: sudo apt install qv4l2

QV4L2(1)                                                          User Commands                                                          QV4L2(1)

NAME
       qv4l2 - A test bench application for video4linux devices

SYNOPSIS
       qv4l2 [-R] [-h] [-d <dev>] [-r <dev>] [-V <dev>] [-S <dev>]

DESCRIPTION
       The  qv4l2  tool  is  used  to test video4linux capture and output devices, either video, vbi, radio or swradio. This application can also
       serve as a generic video/TV viewer application or as a video generator for video output devices.

However, it does not (yet) support compressed video streams other than MJPEG

OPTIONS
       -d, --device=<dev>
              Use device <dev> as the video device. If <dev> is a number, then /dev/video<dev> is used.

-V, --vbi-device=<dev>
              Use device <dev> as the vbi device. If <dev> is a number, then /dev/vbi<dev> is used.

-r, --radio-device=<dev>
              Use device <dev> as the radio device. If <dev> is a number, then /dev/radio<dev> is used.

-S, --sdr-device=<dev>
              Use device <dev> as the SDR device. If <dev> is a number, then /dev/swradio<dev> is used.

Manual page qv4l2(1) line 1 (press h for help or q to quit)

I just read your last message and restarted Manjaro (it’s half an hour after midnight, over here;-) ).
QV412 is pre-installed in Manjaro, I saw something like this after installation in the audio/video group, but couldn’t see what it was…
There are so many fine adjustment options for my LightBurn camera with the QV412, it’s just incredible and the changes are “saved to camera” or somewhere because they can be seen in LightBurn.
Now tomorrow I can calibrate my camera even better, I’m happy.

Thank you very much and good night

1 Like

Manjaro is basically Arch with most upstream glitches sanded down: they have a (volunteer) testing group that generally weeds out egregious errors. Things Do Break, but are often fixed in a matter of days.

However, keep in mInd that Manjaro is not derived from Debian / Ubuntu / Fedora / whatever, so much of the Linux advice you’ll find on the InterWebs (like how to install programs and suchlike) does not apply. You can do all those things, just not in the same way.

If you’re running a dedicated machine for the laser, once you get it set up just run it forever. I have an Optiplex running LinuxCNC for the Sherline mill that I updated for the first time two years ago and it’ll be a while before it gets another refresh.

The great thing about Linux: when it breaks, you have all the pieces!

…sounds like LightBurn :wink:

Yes I do :grin:

I bought it at my last workplace in 2009 and recycled it when I retired (also recycled :wink: ).

Before starting the laser adventure, I used this computer for a 3040 mini cnc router (mach 3), I think by now many of us have the same or similar, it’s funny.

I am so impressed with how “easy” the process of installing and interacting with LightBurn AND the camera worked, I will definitely try to work with Manjaro and find out how it should be “operated”.

Happy Sunday to you all

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.