LightBurn with Camera on Linux / Formatting computer

Sleep tight :crazy_face:

:smile_cat:

I installed Ubuntu 2020.04.05, installed all updates and OBS the way that Jack prescribed.

My findings:

1. LightBurn ran without fuss after installation as well as after updates
  2. Camera worked without issue directly from LightBurn
  3. OBS ran without fuss. And then after adding the camera as a source and then starting the virtual camera I could see the virtual camera in LightBurn. That also worked without fuss.

Note that I did not do anything with permissions at all. Not sure if this is good news or bad news but seems this won’t help Bernd get any closer.

One thing I’d suggest is to try using a different USB port if you have another one on the laptop. I know that the camera works with Cheese which is super odd.

I also tested the Update Check and can confirm that it’s broken on this version of Ubuntu. I did not try to resolve it.

Remember that this installation was using the .run file so this user is starting Lightburn from an icon…
Why not walk him through starting it from a terminal( not installing .7z, running what’s already there ) and have him post the text dumped to the terminal when it crashed?

Ubuntu is a supported OS so if this user is using one of the listed versions and it’s still crashing they need to know ASAP so they can fix the problem. This is what I found on the LightBurn document page for Installation:
64 bit Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 or Fedora 36, anything else may not work as intended). Ubuntu users unable to upgrade beyond Ubuntu 18.04 should download version 1.2.01 instead of the current version.

I would think the report from the app would be more informative than kernel output( via dmesg ).

Goodmorning friends,
Last night I wrote that I could not start OBS after installation.
I restarted after installation, pressed the OBS icon and it crashed. Also, OBS itself went down, it might not have come out clearly yesterday from me.

I find it a bit depressing that there are two such different results with this problem, thanks for taking the time to test it @bernlab
But nothing is in vain to find a good solution. :+1:

I’ve tried that every time, just to be sure.

Thanks to you too, Doug. You have tried to help once before. :+1:

If someone takes me by the hand again and walks me through, I’d like to give it a shot.

I have some jobs I have to finish, and will report back when the time difference suits you, in the other hemisphere.

I can do that before I start using the laser. Thanks
I’ll see you tonight :wink:

laser@LaserComputer:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy
laser@LaserComputer:~$

It’s ok as I see it

LB-Camera-Start-Crash.txt (1.0 KB)
OBS-Start-Crash.txt (2.0 KB)

Here it is, Thanks

That is NOT ok because LightBurn tests and approves their software on Ubuntu 20.04 so it’s likely a library or package issue causing the problem.

Open a Terminal window and type: ~/.local/share/LightBurn/LightBurn

then hit the Enter/Return key. LightBurn should start and then try the camera. When it crashes, highlight everything in the Terminal window using your mouse, then using your keyboard copy it with: Ctr-Shift-c

then paste that into a reply in the browser using: Ctr-v

Here the transcript from the last attempt

laser@LaserComputer:~$ ~/.local/share/LightBurn/LightBurn
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Using the core prefs dir
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: Connecting slot on_sbNumberOfPasses_valueChanged() with the first of the following compatible signals: (“valueChanged(int)”, “valueChanged(QString)”)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: Connecting slot on_sbFrequency_valueChanged() with the first of the following compatible signals: (“valueChanged(double)”, “valueChanged(QString)”)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: Connecting slot on_sbQPulseWidth_valueChanged() with the first of the following compatible signals: (“valueChanged(double)”, “valueChanged(QString)”)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_sbInterval_valueChanged()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: Connecting slot on_sbMaterialHeight_valueChanged() with the first of the following compatible signals: (“valueChanged(double)”, “valueChanged(QString)”)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: Connecting slot on_sbSupportHeight_valueChanged() with the first of the following compatible signals: (“valueChanged(double)”, “valueChanged(QString)”)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionEdit_Text_closed(int)
connected
“Lightburn Camera: Lightburn Cam” “/dev/video0”
“Lightburn Camera: Lightburn Cam” “/dev/video0”
res: 640 x 480
res: 800 x 600
res: 960 x 720
res: 1280 x 720
res: 1280 x 960
res: 1600 x 1200
res: 1920 x 1080
res: 2560 x 1440
res: 2592 x 1944
default: -1 x -1
Setting res: 2592 x 1944
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
laser@LaserComputer:~$ ^C
laser@LaserComputer:~$

I have found another old computer on which I have installed Fedora. It was not easy to find Fedora 36. I installed Fedora 37 at first, I simply got the number wrong. But at least I can say that LightBurn does NOT run on this version for me. I couldn’t even launch LightBurn.

Then I found a 36 and started again, this version has not had a GUI, which makes it almost hopeless for me to get started.
With cutting and pasting and a lot of luck, I got a surface that looks a bit like Windows - good enough for me. I also got LightBurn installed, I used the procedure from “our” help page in LightBurn, again cut and paste.
In Fedora 36, LightBurn AND LightBurn’s camera work together!!!

The computer is a Lenovo Thinkcenter M81 with an Intel Core i3-2100x4
The machine is 12 years old, but it feels relatively fast and problem-free with LightBurn.

I have spent many hours on it and it felt a bit like 20 years ago when I messed around a lot with Windows PCs.
I’ve just become too lazy in my brain to work with the terminal in Linux - thank God I have you - THANKS

I’m still intent on finding out why my Ubuntu doesn’t handle LightBurn, hopefully it can be used by the LightBurn developers.

Right now the Ubuntu machine is set up and ready for troubleshooting, so if anyone still wants to mess with it, I’ll be ready after dinner, around 19 Danish time :wink:

2 Likes

I think the files you sent me show the Lightburn and OBS had a segment faults… It means it tried access memory outside of what was permitted… Sounds like a bad pointer situation… One failure could lead to the other…

I’d stick with the same flavor of Linux if you can. If you plug in the camera to the working version of Fedora then immediately look at the dmesg output it might tell you what module (driver) it’s using. Might be different driver …

Just ordered a new laser this morning, in the ‘research’ mode of how to use it… I’ll help when possible with the Linux issue…

1 Like

Looks like the Ubuntu version you’re running is 2022.04 while the testing I did was on 2020.04. I’ll try installing 2022.04 to see if that changes anything for me.

One question, what’s the hardware on the Ubuntu computer? Specifically what graphics card is running on the machine?

Glad you’re up and running with Fedora 36. Surprised 37 didn’t work for you. I specifically tested for that.

I’ve been on 22.04 for a while, some os differences, but Lightburn seems to operate properly… No crashing or anything like that. I haven’t hooked my camera up to see if I can duplicate the issue.

The old machine in the garage is running 20.something, so I will also give that a shot.

I will try @bernd.dk configuration when I can.

Damn it, it should have been 20.20.04and not 22.22.04 version of Ubuntu, I made the same mistake with Fedora at first and it won’t work with LB for me with a newer version of Fedora.
I can try the older version of Ubuntu, I have now tried it 4-5 times.
Graphics card/ship of the Dell computer is an “Intel G41”

To find the graphics card of the Lenovo machine, I have to connect it first, I am working on it.

…I didn’t mark it as a link, sorry

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 380
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz × 2
Intel® G41
4 GB Ram

With the Lenovo machine, I’m not quite sure what it’s running, it says two ??

• Integrated Graphics Adapter (Intel HD Graphics 2000)
  • ATI Radeon HD 5450

Just tested with 2022.04. I notice no difference in results from what I had in 2020.04. Both direct and OBS camera solutions seem to work.

Congratulations on your Fiberlaser!!!
Interesting, I’m waiting for your opinion on it.

Me too :crazy_face:

Thanks

It is the HP and Dell machines that will not run with LigtBurn/camera, I assume that it is a hardware problem and possibly some installation errors on my part.
Right now I’m happy with Fedora on the Lenovo machine, I’m just going to put this computer together and see if I get along with Fedora.
Thanks to everyone for now

Sounds like it’s a dual GPU laptop with both integrated and discrete graphics.

As for the Dell, I had a theory that it could be something with your graphics driver causing the issue but not certain. I’m not very familiar with G41 as it’s bit of an oddball.