LM3 autofound by LB has to have spped of 25mm/s for minor engraving

So the Setup:
LM3 connected to my windows laptop via USB.
Went through the find my laser on LB and it found and set up the laser.
for a decent 1MM engraving i have to have laser power set at 100% and traverse speed set to 20mm/s and do 2 passes.

Seems like the software and laser power isnt matching up. I can not see this doing any type of cutting.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

20mm/s is pretty quick for a diode laser. That’s 1200mm/ minute which seems about right. Going slower is a possibility. What is your current material of choice?

I’m not expecting an issue here but there is a setting that scales the laser output.

In the Console window in LightBurn enter the following request of your LM3
$$
then press enter. Please copy and paste that report into a reply here.

The setting we’re looking for is $30

It should be equal to S Value Max in Device Settings:

Mine was wrong:

Enter the $30=1000 ( or 255 or whatever… as long as it’s the same as S-value max in the first graphic)

Then ask for that report to make sure the $30 stuck to the new setting.

so my $30=1000.000 seems to match the S value of 1000.
just wondering if my expectations are wrong on this laser. this is my first one. what are the suggested settings for actual cutting? havnt found that info on this forum for my setup.

1 Like

Totally depends on what you are cutting, what colour it is, and how thick it is. What are you trying to do?

At about 500mm/MIN I find that I can cut 3mm thick birch ply in 3 passes.

You can find libraries for LB for this laser that can help guide you on what to choose for settings for different materials. There’s a set that ‘The Louisiana Hobby Guy’ put together on his site. You need to create an account to see it, it’s not in the public forums. LA Hobby Guy - Main Forums

this is ideal. you can make both numbers 10,000 or 255 or anything really. 1000 is common and if that’s the default that’s ideal.

Even local humidity will change engraving and cutting settings. It’s wise to run a Material Test for each material that you use. Set the Material Setting layer to Line to test cutting speeds and power level.

Under Laser Tools, select Material Test and set up a range of speeds and power levels for the work you’re doing.

I make gaskets for car stuff sometimes. I did these before the tool was made.

Your mileage may vary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice application JJ!
All my Holley gaskets are dried up and I have some Weber metering blocks for my Holley that could use new seals. Thanks for the reminder of other possibilities :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.