Locking and unlocking threads

Why would LB support employees lock, unlock, lock, unlock, and lock a thread? The OP has a sand-paper-grit way of conveying his message. But, he makes some clearly valid points that have to be sifted from the not so clear. Most people here don’t want to hear them, especially LB staff.

It appeared to me that the reason to unlock a locked thread was simply to be sarcastic and “pile on” some more to the OP. There’s no need to do that. It just looks like sour grapes :grapes:

I worked with a LB customer 2 years ago who was treated rudely by forum members and LB staff. He purchased a laser and was told LB was all he needed. He never used design software in his life.

We spent several nights on Teamviewer, me teaching him how to design in Lightburn and how to run his Chinese laser. I don’t really design in Lightburn, but I know enough to be dangerous. I’ve never run a Chinese laser with LB, but I read a lot. Over a 3-4 week period, he was able to design and create his parts.

This person now has a pretty decent thing going. But he needed to get over the hump, and it wasn’t happening because he too had a bit of sandpaper.

I am probably in the minority, but take it for what it’s worth. You are in business to make money and please your customers. If a customer has a problem with LB, take it private.

1 Like

In this case it seemed more of a troll than wanting to learn. He evidently knew more than everyone else. I thought we were quite restrained in our comments. He seemed to keep trolling. Twitter/X is the place for trolling.

1 Like

I updated my post because the post I was referring to was again unlocked and locked. More piling on and sour grapes :grapes:

I see your point, but having seen that the OP designs and sells R/C plane kits, I wouldn’t attempt to do them in LB. They are easier to design in a CAD program. The OP knows his stuff about R/C planes, because so do I.

He just needs help getting them designed. But, his sandpaper doesn’t help. Neither does the sarcasm coming from Lightburn.

I will always give the benefit of the doubt to those whose job is to keep this place sane and friendly. Moderation is always a “walk on egg shells” kinda job, one small steps and you can make a mistake and be unfair.

I would also say if you are coming for help and introducing honest, positive and constructive feedback, the first thing to do is NOT start your post with a Title of my post “horrible…”
But thats me :smiley:

2 Likes

I get it. From what I could tell, the OP has been using LB for about 8 months, and is selling one R/C kit he designed in LB.

Generally we’ll lock if the OP is being abusive, aggressive, or outright dismissive, because other people will often pile on and make it worse. One of the staff will then unlock and reply in the hope of de-escalating things.

7 Likes

Sorry you are feeling this way Ralph. I can tell that you are upset.
Your friend is lucky to have a person like you in his/her life that cares enough to make a post like this.

I am personally not familiar with this particular incident of a Lightburn team member who locked, unlocked, locked , unlocked then locked again a thread. I have been around this community a few years and can tell you that the support team does not alienate their customers. I would like to know what post I can reference as an example for analysis of this incident so that I can answer your concern in a more educated fashion.

Cheers
:beers:
Sas

That part was more in tongue in cheek.

I will refer specially for the first part. I will give the benefit of the doubt on those that have to do moderation. Ultimately they have to do it every day, where we can just step back and go to youtube see videos of cute cats to unwind.

The uncoordinated lock-unlock will be discussed internally. I stand with the community, but I am willing to bend to the powers that be.

I expressed internally that I may have gone a little bit too far with it. If I was out of line I’ll own up to it.

I’m willing to open a candid discussion about either event to better inform ourselves and our team in order to prevent it from happening again.

Sincere feedback is Gold.

It happens when they feel like they are being attacked. It’s simple human nature. But, I still think LB shouldn’t take it personal. Take it private. Maybe the OP and LB would learn something.

I get it, but take it private. Your sarcasm, even though it wasn’t much, it’s unnecessary.

In this situation maybe this should have gone private as the OP was not looking for any advice to solving his problems.

I take issue with this specifically - I’m always willing to hear criticism, or complaints. I fully recognize that LightBurn isn’t going to please everyone, but I’m open to discussion, preferably civil, but even when it isn’t I try to glean the message being conveyed, however poorly so we can hopefully improve things.

Part of the problem is that if the OP is being outright combative with others, before one of the devs has a chance to chime in, things devolve, and it makes the forum appear more toxic, and we’re trying to avoid that too.

We’re also just people, and someone being particularly abrasive will occasionally hit a nerve. :slight_smile: I’m guilty of being a little too sarcastic on occasion, but I really do try to keep that in check.

3 Likes

I don’t recall actually posting anything sarcastic in this thread. Happy to be proven wrong, but I really wasn’t intending to.

In the OP thread, even though I think you quoted the OP about “lazy developer” or close to that. It’s throwing gas on the flame. Better to let it go, but we are human, just like the OP.

Human nature indeed Ralph. One great quote I reference in similar situations is

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

It is very easy for anyone to get frustrated when trying to get something accomplished that “should be easy” and it does not come out the way one intended it to come out. Then you go to a support forum and that same level of frustration is still there as one asks for help. I know, I’ve been there.

Here is a story I have carried with me since my “passionate” corporate job many years ago that I still reflect upon today:

There is a story about a young boy who had difficulty managing his temper. One day his father had an idea. He gave the boy a bag of nails and a hammer and said, “Every time you feel like lashing out at someone or having a tantrum, I give you permission to pound a nail into the backyard fence.”

Over the next several weeks, the boy did just that. The first few days he hammered a constellation of nails into the first panel. Then, gradually, panel-by-panel, nail-by-nail, he slowed down until he found that he didn’t need to do it anymore.

That was when his father gave him a new challenge: to remove a nail from the fence for every day he could continue to control his temper. Eventually, all the nails were removed and the son stood proudly before his father.

“That’s great,” the father said, “But I want you to notice something. Look at those holes in the fence. Those holes don’t go away when you take the nails out. It’s the same thing when you say or do something hurtful to someone else; you can try to take it back later, but the damage remains.”

This is not just a lesson for children. There are a lot of people who have needed to be reminded of this. I know I did in my early years in business. If you demand the best from yourself and those around you, there is the danger of getting carried away to the point that you frustrate rather than motivate the ones you rely on most.

When this happens it’s easy to say, “I’m just a passionate person – it’s just the way I am,” and hope that people will forgive you for your emotional outbursts. In many cases people will forgive you, especially if they have some history with you and trust you. But always remember that each time you do that, you are leaving another hole in the fence.

Cheers
:beers:

Sas

7 Likes

I watched your LBX video. On occasion times 4, but it was with LB employees so you can be excused.

Thats a good story. I copied it to my phone to remind myself :blush:

Seems to me you are doing now exactly what you came here to ask to not happen.
Which points - in a way - how easy things derail from the intended original purpose

Edited to remove. I also meant to leave that topic open, and didn’t realize it was still locked, so I fixed that too. The intent was to respond with some information he could use, and an actual solution (the beta link posted), and allow him to reply if he chooses to.