Longer Ray 5 10w Speed Burn and Engrave Chart

Trying to find information on the max speed for the Longer Ray 5 and probably asking the question wrong and looking in the wrong places. I tried the chat on the Longer site, mistake. I will be getting my Longer Ray 5 within the next week, garage cleared out and kind of neat. Want to run the burn/speed/cut test and don 't know how low to go and fast and not exhaust the diodes. the usual material, ply and tile for now.

Any links would be appreciated

Charles

I have a longer ray 5 10w. I had no luck trying any of the settings that were for other machines. there is a material test in light burn and i have found you need to use that on pretty much everything you want to work with. id do a search on youtube to see, it is real easy to use and extremely helpful.

If you can change and maintain the configuration information … Some controllers won’t allow or will reset them to the default values after a re-boot or reset.

If you can connect, the controller has a maximum speed (speed limit) for all axes in the firmware. It’s also associated with the acceleration values. Generally $$ entered in the console will dump all of it’s values.

The max speed on this machine is set to 635mm/m.

$110=635.000X - Max Rate (mm/min)
$111=635.000Y - Max Rate (mm/min)
$112=635.000Z - Max Rate (mm/min)
$120=50.000X - Max Acceleration (mm/sec2)
$121=50.000Y - Max Acceleration (mm/sec2)
$122=50.000Z - Z - Max Acceleration (mm/sec2)

Acceleration determines how fast it will reach it’s speed.

One of the articles I read stated this… for the Longer Ray 5.

Speed: 40mm/min to 6000mm/min

It’s from the Internet, so it must be true:exploding_head:

There are a number of videos on how to tune up a grbl machine. I got mine running so fast I thought it would self destruct when it did a job…

Although this is for a cnc with a spindle the basic idea is the same…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

We highly suggest building your own cut library using Material Test, as local supplies of material as well as diode to diode power variations mean you need to custom build your settings for best results - Dial In Your Laser Settings With LightBurn’s Material Test - YouTube

Jack, thank you that article had all the info I needed. Somewhere to start and to know what the max is without destroying the machine before I get to wear it out!

James, Colin thank you for the help as well

if it’s on the internet - it’s true :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nice thing about these is they can make a racket when you over accelerate them, but short term is doesn’t harm them… It’s only the magnetic fields moving faster than the mechanical parts of the motor can respond… sounds horrible, but doesn’t really hurt anything…

I ended up de-tuning mine, a lot, so I didn’t have to bolt it to the table…

These are not built with the best parts, so I wouldn’t expect the mechanical parts to really stand up to too much loading.

Glad it got you going… Might want to mark this thread solved if that’s the case…

Good luck

Jack,

Since I’m still very new to this forum how do I “mark this thread solved” . Hopefully this will help others just starting out like me!

I moved the solution to the post with the tune up video in it… I assume that’s what you meant… I hope… :thinking:

Take care…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.