Losing Connection. Power supply, USB cable?

Hey. So I’ve been running my ortur lm2 off my old macbook pro laptop. Has been working good for the most part but lately it’s starting to lose connection during a job and messing it up. I have had this laser for a few years now and am using the original usb cable and power supply. I’ve read about the grounding issues and the wiring fix for that. Also have seen people just replacing the usb cable and/or the power supply and it’s fixed the issue.

I’m going to order the " Tripp Lite U023-006 6 Feet USB 2.0 A/B Device Gold Cable with Ferrite Chokes" for the cable as this seems to be the best type.

What power supply should i be using? I’ve read that ortur recommended to switch to a 5A power supply instead of the 3A one? What have you guys done and had success with for the power supply? Or should i just get the USB cable first and try that before the power supply?

I bought something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Auplf-Supply-Adapter-100-240V-Cameras/dp/B088897J2D) when I was having a similar problem with my OLM2 Pro. Just make sure the plug is the same size (I believe the 5.5 X 2.1 is correct). I also bought the same USB cable, so you “should” be GTG.

Ok. The one I have currently is 3A. If i switch to a 5 or 6A one is there a risk of it damaging the laser or what are the pros/cons of the higher amp ones? Not even sure if it’s a power supply issue it could just be the usb cord causing it but the cord i ordered will take a few days to get here before i know. In case i do need a power supply as well just wondering if I should stay with a 3A or go with a higher one? Seen mixed reviews.

Machine will get what it needs, not more than that
So you can have more amps available as headroom tahts good

5.5 2.1 is the barrel yes.

Ok, thanks for the info.

one more question lol. So i see using higher amps is safe but using higher voltage will damage the laser. The output on my current supply says 12V-3000mA. The one on amazon says 24V-6A. Do i need to find one that has an output of only 12V as well?

found and ordered a 12V-6Amp one. Fingers crossed it solves my problems.

More voltage is BAD
More amps is not bad

if you have OLM2 (old type) you need 12v 3amps minimum
So 12v 6amps is fine

Sorry, my Ortur is 24V, I keep forgetting that the LM2 is 12V. Glad you figured it out and got what you needed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.