Lost in translation: Corel to Lightburn

I work with CorelDraw19.
Lightburn does not recognize Corel so I have to export files as AI files. When I import the files into LB the drawings are erratic, disconnected lines.
In Corel, I draw in wireframe with the pen set at hairline. In this manner I can check that all lines and nodes are connected. When the drawing arrives in LB this is not the case.
The easiest way to view this problem is to create an outline, inward or out, but the result is a 360 degree outline with jagged edges depicting all of the disconnects.
Attempting to resolve this with EDIT: CLOSE PATHS, ETC, doesn’t always work and manually connecting the nodes can be time consuming and annoying.
I have been using a “work around” by changing the HAIRLINE to 2 point (after finishing the drawing) and converting the file to BITMAP and then importing into LB.
However, the results in LB are not always what I intended.
Any thoughts . . .
Happy New Year
Never been so glad to see a year end!

Sweet.
Thank you.

How do you people figure this s**t out?
Never mind, I don’t want to know. LOL
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Fish

1 Like

I am just being curious here:
I dropped corel for inkscape last year but I use to export lot of drawings to dxf for a buddy and his plasma cutter. I never noticed an issue with unconnected lines. Has things changed with corel? If I remember the pen tool draws unconnected line and the bezier connected by default but I may mis-remember.

I never tried exporting as a dxf. Next time I will try the dxf.
I believe my problem occured in the transition/translation from corel to Adobe to LB.
RalphU sent me a PDF with instructions for a macro, (see above).
That is where I am heading.
I have played with inkscape just a little but haven’t had time to get serious, maybe I should return to it and look around. As a free program, it was pretty impressive.

The dxf works much better than the adobe route,
However, I still have to TRACE the file to be able to use it and that still leaves me with the double line issue.

would you mind answering a couple more questions? your last post interest me.

go ahead
shoot

cool.

First though I tried Inkscape a couple of times and was turned off. Then I got really fed up with corel, the program really started to go down hill. They add new features and do some cosmetic upgrades but the yearly updates and constant marketing and the need to be online really did me in.
Anyway after I was using Inkscape solo for a month or 2 I began to how to do the things I wanted. It is a little different from corel but I cant think of anything I miss. I know they are a couple, I remember when I run into them but nothing I haven’t worked around.

when tracing by hand I always used the bezier tool, it draws a connected line by default, I just drew straight segments and bent them afterwards. I got annoyed at the pen tool because I would forget to 2xclick on the end of the last line to continue. with the bezier toll it is just. click, move, click until i am done. with the occasional click and drag when i forgot not too.

What double lines are you getting from the trace? long preamble to a question but I misread something above that help me out.

Corel is a real love/hate program. Maybe it is all of the money you have throw at it that keeps you going.
Reminds me of Quickbooks and I had to wean off of that program too.
Just throw money.
Anyway
I am use to Corel, I worked in the sign industry. Plotters or printers all seemed to work better with their own software. They all had features that worked well but there was no “one size fits all”. Corel was my base line.
I’m retired now and bought a laser 5 months ago; a whole new process. Still learning, cool.
When I build a design for cutting, I can’t import it into LB as a line drawing. LB doesn’t recognize it as such.
It is there, but I have to use the TRACE tool to acquire the image.
Example: a square. When traced the result is 2 squares, an inline and an outline. Fine. Eliminate one. Now it is not the original size. OK. Imagine that as a complex drawing and it could take hours deleting objects and god forbid you click the wrong one and don’t catch it.
I could learn to draw in LB but it just isn’t set up for that like Corel or Adobe or Inkscape.
Does this make sense?

You should not have to trace anything from Corel if it’s vectors - Export it as AI, SVG, or DXF, and import that directly into LightBurn.

Doesn’t seem to work like that for me.

that is what was throwing me off, I though I just misread.

edit: does the corel file have an image in it ? would that matter Oz ?
never mind. I tried it with inkscape.

It’s not possible to “trace” a vector in LightBurn, so it sounds like you’re exporting from Corel as an image, not vectors. Can you write out the exact steps you’re taking to get a vector square you draw in Corel into LightBurn?

1 Like

Crap, you guys a blowing my mind here.
I want to use the TRACE tool to create an engraved outline around the complete image and maybe that is where I screw up. I change the whole damn file first.

All that you folks just said is very true. My bad. Guess I wasn’t paying attention.

Ralph, I attempted the PDF file steps but the boxes that popped up did not match the illustrations provided. I went into Corel install/uninstall and it would not let me access the MODIFY button.
That is where I gave up.

Thanks for the help, I will try to contain myself in the future, LMAO

Happy New Year! Good riddance 2020!

1 Like

Ralph, I got all the way to image above:
Customization, Macros, Image, Browsed to the LB icon, under Caption I entered lightburn and clicked ok.
However, LB still does not recognize Corel files.
What am I missing?
Do I hit Restore defaults? That doesn’t make sense.

in the draw folder

tho there is probably a copy in the GMS file from previous attempt.

sorry, don’t know how to magnify