Macbook with M1 proccessor, Topwsidom USB - can't send files to laser

Hello,

I have some troubles with Lightburn on MacOS 13 with M1 processor.

Basic info
Macbook Pro, M1 Pro, MacOS13
Lightburn ver V1.4.00
Laser with Topwisdom controller.

I am unable to send files to laser via USB cable. If I manually send some small shape - like 5 cm circle to laser - it works, but everytime i try to send something just little more complicated the process on screen is looking fine but laser receives nothing.

All previous job are cleared from the memory,

I’ve seen that people on forum have same issue -

I’ve tried different solutions - nothing seems to work :frowning:

Do you have maybe some kind of beta release that could solve this issue? Or any advice how to run it? Or maybe basic info are you planning to solve it in next version?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Which topwisdom controller do you have and is there an ethernet (CAT5 / CAT6) socket on the controller?
Ethernet may be a better approach if it’s available.

Mac has a very efficient, low voltage serial port. The serial ports in DSP controllers weren’t designed with battery life in mind.

Are you working with a Free Trial (This should be fully active) or a DSP + GCode license? (which allows you communicate with the Topwisdom Controller)

1 Like

There is no ethernet port on that controller so there is no other connection than USB

Mac works with laser only when it’s connected to AC adapter

I have LightBurn Software - DSP License Key bought from Lightburn. It works fine on Windows, these issues occur only on MacOS

I believe that this is related to a power-saving strategy to extend battery life but I am asking internally to confirm this.

I may be able to borrow a Mac M1 and use an oscilloscope to test voltage levels if I can’t find an answer.

I’ve tried 3 different connection cables. I tried connecting it directly through two USB cables, also tried USB active HUB with own power adapter and there is no difference.

Basically the problem is the same as in this post:

Sidenote: I’ve also tested Windows on MAC running in Pararells. I had some issues with USB Serial driver but I managed to find one working on Windows ARM. Laser receives all the files but engraving quality is really bad (don’t know why, it has the same settings as on Windows machine). Maybe it is because of Serial USB driver? Dunno.

Someone here suggested that be behavior could be the result of a ‘grounding issue’ with your laser engraver. I’ve seen wire that was under-spec, loose wires and poor connections several times so it’s quite possible something isn’t right.

If system noise is floating the whole communication channel it may be grounded (or dissipated) through the computer when it’s plugged in.

Are you sure? I’ll check that but those issues occure only on macbook. As soon as I switch to my old Dell laptop running Windows 10 there is zero problems, everything runs ok, no error, no connectivity issues - with the same connection cables

1 Like

If your Mac has more than one USB port, try each one to see if there is a difference.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no change. I also checked the latest version of Lightburn and everything behaves as I described earlier :frowning:

When I use the old Dell with Windows it all works without the slightest problems.

I’m certainly curious about the Mac / Topwisdom communication issue and how it might be similar to the Mac / Ruida (FDTI) communication issue that is known and documented.

This may help me identify the serial chip and let me know if this is related to something known.

I’m certain someone here said this. :slight_smile: I’m not certain how this piece of hardware could behave this way.

When the Mac is plugged in, is it simply a power cord with a sealed power adapter (brick) in it to convert to DC voltage?

Some power bricks won’t chassis-ground a laptop. I’m fairly certain they’re isolated or ungrounded by design. In my mind it’s possible that noise filtering in the power adapter might dampen noise on the power rail in the macbook and that in turn may dampen noise on the communication side.

With the power cord plugged into the Macbook, but not plugged into the wall, please test communication between the Macbook and the Topwisdom controller.

Does the power adapter cord have three pins or lugs at the wall? This would be a North American three prong plug or a European Standard E or F Plug?

A Dock and external monitors may treat grounding differently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.