Mach3 CNC controller compatibility

I built a 1200mm x 1200 mm CNC Laser/Plasma/routing table that utilizes an STB4100 controller ran by Mach3. I use Solidworks with the HSMexpress plug-in to generate toopaths and G-code which is great for cutting and routing but I am looking for software that will engrave images much more seamless. Does anyone know if the NTB4100 board will work with Lightburn or do I need another board. I have looked into GRBL but I can’t find anything that supports external stepper drivers as my NEMA23s draw 4.2amps.

I would like to find an option that will work with both Mach3 and Lightburn. Any thoughts?

Mach3’s PWM spindle output doesn’t change fast enough to drive a laser for image engraving.

GRBL just outputs step and direction signals like anything else, so it would be compatible with your external motor controllers. GRBL is a firmware, not a board though, so you’d need something like an Arduino running it, with either a motor shield or breakout board of some kind to connect the wiring up.

LightBurn does not support the STB4100.

There are many boards that support external steppers. TinyG and Smoothie, for two. Even the cheap $30 GrblCNC shields for Arduino support external steppers, you just need to solder a header or make up a connector to bypass the built-in drivers.

Then there’s the other end of the market with the Gecko and similar.