Machine not responding to homing but responds to move commands

Laser is genmitsu prover 3018 which has been running beautifully since I bought it in the autumn. Today I ran a homing test on a piece of work that I thought might be at the limits of the workspace. My machine has limit switches. Sure enough it touched the x limit switch and stuck. I wound the drive back to release it from the switch and tried to home it. Machine didn’t respond although it would respond to the move commands. When trying to home it the x drive bar locks for a few seconds then releases. I have managed to move back to the home position but home does not work. Also got the “could not find limit switch within search distance. Defined as 1.5”." None of the posts I have come across mention the drive shaft jamming while trying to home, but being free to respond to the move command. Any ideas please?

You generally want the steppers to ‘lock’. If they don’t they can be moved and the machine will loose it’s position and you will have to re-home.

It sounds like you have loose connectors or something similar and it’s not seeing the switch make.

After the machine starts and faults, you can check the switches by activating them. You will get something like this in the ‘console’… from 2 presses of the limit switch. It’s working…

ALARM:1
Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.
[MSG:Reset to continue]
Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]
[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
ok

ALARM:1
Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.
[MSG:Reset to continue]
Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]
[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
ok

You can check all three switches.

:smiley_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.