Mansfield Rotary and 50watt Orion

I have a 50 watt Orion blue/ white with Ruida controller. Not sure what firmware version as I have to pull it from the machine. I am thinking this might be the issue and not sure where to go to get it. When changing items on the Mansfield rotary I am currently having to change the steps in order for engravings to come out correctly. Otherwise they are stretched or shrunken depending which item I am switching to/ from

• Running current version of Lightburn 9.19

• Steps are set up where the wheels on the rotary make one revolution and return back to its starting point.

• I have slowed the machine way down on accel etc…so as not to jitter the cup

• When I am changing items let say from 85.5mm diameter to 87.5 (different cups) I have to change the steps in order for the fonts and images to be the correct size. X axis (height is spot on) its the Y axis I’m having an issue with. I should not have to change the steps in order for engravings to come out correctly.

• I have a large roller (hotdog style) and its spot on that came with the machine.

• I have not changed any dip switches on the Y axis for power.

• I have checked for slop in belts- they seem to be tight and not slipping. After running it does return back to its exact starting point. I make a line on tape it returns back.

Any ideas or recommendations that I have missed would greatly be appreciated.

Are you adjusting for each specific object diameter within the Rotary Setup?

Also, can you confirm that you have Ruida / Ruida branded controller and not a Ryxon or similar controller (Ruida OEM / Rebranded). Ryxon, for example, has a known firmware fix for rotary steps per rotation.

Yes- Definitely changing the object diameter. It makes no difference what I change for a diameter or circumference for that matter. I have made erroneous changes (ie- 60mm for a 85.5mm diameter object) with no changes to image outcome.

Yes I am sure its a ruida 6445 (forgot series) controller. I will open the machine and take pictures this afternoon. I will also get pictures of the driver and dip swithces for the Y axis as I am thinking it has something to do with that.

Can you verify your workflow on using the rotary? Assume your machine is running with X, Y, Z (no rotary) and you will be putting the rotary to use. What steps do you take. Please be detailed. I have a feeling there is something in your workflow causing this.

Attach rotary
Turn machine on
Turn laser on
Plug USB into tablet, turn tablet on
Open lightburn, verify rotary is enabled- if not (almost always is ticked because that’s all I use)
adjust diameter for object (only have 2 different sizes I currently run)

Is your machine configured to not home Y? I am assuming homing Y is tuned off if you leave rotary enabled and you’re plugging in the rotary before turning the machine on.

You are leveraging the Y axis driver correct? And you have a panel mounted plug to connect the rotary’s stepper? Is the stepper driver the right type for the motor in the mansfield rotary?

This statement above raises some questions. Have you tired disabling the rotary, writing that to the controller (saving it / closing rotary setup), going back to rotary setup and re-enabling the rotary?

Yes manipulating the Y axis. Yes to the panel mounted plug. Yes I have homing off. Yes I have turned it off, closed it, re- opened it, turned it back on. Here in lies the question that arises in my head. I am thinking there is something with the driver. I will grab specs on both the driver and the stepper motor. I am thinking there is a miss match. Either the pulses in the driver are wrong, the power level is wrong or its a 2 phase/ 3 phase and should be the opposite.

RDC6442G-B controller and a DM545 Driver controller. Set to 2000 pulses. My pictures are too big to upload.

Nema 23 2 phase stepper motor for the Mansfield

Blockquote Is your machine configured to not home Y? I am assuming homing Y is tuned off if you leave rotary enabled and you’re plugging in the rotary before turning the machine on.

My machine has homing enabled. Should I turn it off?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.