Material generator going out of bounds

Are you sure your machine isn’t meant to have origin at bottom-left? Don’t know about your specific board but C3D K40 upgrades home top-left but have origin at bottom-left. I think that’s pretty common for K40 conversions.

That looks like it’s reporting properly - WPos says 0,200, which is close to right (should likely be 210, if your laser is 210mm long in Y, but close enough).

But then, you said “at the top left corner, close to 0,0”, and 0,0 should actually be front left, according to you and the offset entered. If you jog the laser to the front left and re-type the ? in the console, what does it say there?

1 Like

You answered a completely different question than the one I asked.

Sorry about that.
?

<Idle|WPos:0.000,0.004,0.000,0.000|Bf:220,8192|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,-200.000,0.000,0.000>

ok
Guess thats 0,0 , I really meant near 0,200

If you are set to ‘Absolute Coords’, it should automatically go to the center of the workspace of the laser when you click ‘Start’, assuming that you have your Device Settings page size set correctly (to the size of the work area of the laser).

Are you set to ‘Absolute Coords’, or something else?

Absolute Coords. It does not go to the center, as I depicted in my image it takes off toward the back of the machine till it crashes and I hit stop.

Type this command in the console:

G0 X100 Y100

Where does your laser move to?

1 Like
  • In the console window, turn on ‘Show All’.
  • Go to the material test generator and click start
  • Copy the GCode in the console here so I can see what it says

This doesn’t make any sense at all.

A lot of it scrolled off the screen, but at a certain point it stopped with and error. Although it did go to the center of the bed when it started. it was a lot of gcode so I put it in a text file.
MaterialTest.txt (14.9 KB)

1 Like

The coordinates appear to be fine:

X 148.562 Y137.588

This is concerning though:
error:2
Numeric value format is not valid or missing an expected value.
On or near line 1132:
Job halted
Stream completed in 0:02

If you type $i in the console and press enter, what does it say? LightBurn sent over 1100 lines of GCode to your machine and then the machine complained that the format was invalid, which is either a buffer overrun (feeding too much data) or a communication error. I want to see what the controller is reporting for the buffer size.

$i

$i

[VER:3.0.20211025:]

[OPT:VMZL,1500,8192]

Target buffer size found

That says the machine has an 8kb serial buffer, so the 1100 lines is not unreasonable, but it seems like you have a communication issue - possibly line noise, bad cable, poor connection, or something like that.

You can try going to Edit > Device Settings, and changing the transfer mode at the bottom right to using “Synchronous” instead of “Buffered”.

Have you ever run anything with this board before? (IE, Is the material test the first thing you’ve tried with it, or has been running fine for a while and this is the first time you’ve had an issue?)

Is there video or photos you can upload that we can refer to? This will save you and us a lot of precious time (-:

You have a completely different machine, and are not likely having the same issue. When using ‘Absolute Coords’ with a correctly configured machine, this works. The material test generator isn’t going to be the issue here - if you drew a simple arrangement of boxes in the middle of the screen you’d have the same trouble. We do have a video for setting up the XTool D1, which I’d suggest you watch if you haven’t yet.

Well its a new board I just installed yesterday and have been running cut and engraving test with trying to dial in everything. It hasnt had any issues with it not completing or finishing a job but I have been having major power control issues with it. Which is the main reason I been trying to run these and other tests. For whatever reason no matter what percentage I set the power at if it is a LINE it pretty much maxes out the power when the burn takes place. Below is the board I have, it runs a proprietary Grbl-LPC version of firmware.

The material test generator produces a grid of settings with text around them and centers it in the workspace. I would suggest trying a simple grid of 5 x 5 mm boxes drawn with the grid array tool, set to fill, and centered. If that doesn’t work, it has nothing to do with the material generator and you have other issues.

IMHO if you read this thread, he has proven to me the controller isn’t configured properly…

Hopefully both of these will probably have the same solution…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.